soveryapt Posted October 18, 2012 Posted October 18, 2012 Obviously, this is going to require a silly amount of storage (I'm assuming I'll be able to swap memory cards out of the camera, so long as I don't do it whilst it is trying to take a photo). Is there a maximum size of card which I should consider for this? I remember a photographer friend of mine saying not to get really big cards because the access speed is too slow - is that still true, or can I just buy a couple of 64GB cards and run them on rotation? Apparently, the maximum card size you can use with a 450D is 16GB. Now, that said, when I Googled the max for my 350D is was 4GB, but I have an 8GB card in there that works just fine (after trying a friends card to check if it worked before buying my own). I mean, it might not even be every 30 seconds you capture, it depends how long you want the end result to be, you might find that every minute is better if it's a 3 week project and you're just going to leave it running. Which, depending on the quality you wanted at the end of it all, you could run the camera at 2MP (ok, you probably want it better than this but it's an extreme example) and if you were to capture every single minute over the 3 weeks (30,240) then the 16GB card would do that at least 6 times over. (there's a table on this page .. Canon Eos-Digital-Rebel-Xsi-Slr Review: Controls, Storage, I/O, Power .. which is where I'm getting my workings from - helps you prepare). 1
plexer Posted October 18, 2012 Posted October 18, 2012 Get an Ey-Fi card for it and then it can automatically upload the images to storage for you. Ben
enjay Posted October 18, 2012 Author Posted October 18, 2012 Recording a building won't require a short interval This particular building might, as it is being built off-site and delivered flat-pack, so will go up in a matter of days.
soveryapt Posted October 18, 2012 Posted October 18, 2012 Recording a building won't require a short interval This particular building might, as it is being built off-site and delivered flat-pack, so will go up in a matter of days. I would agree with this, you still need that short time frame as anything longer, you could miss a piece going into place. I've been talking with a contractor about time-lapsing the building of a wind turbine and it's a case of, the days leading up, you could easily get away with 30-60 second intervals, but once the turbine itself is on site and ready to be hoisted, you want to be looking at more 5 second intervals to get a realistic capture of it. Looking forward to seeing the end result though!
enjay Posted October 18, 2012 Author Posted October 18, 2012 Looking forward to seeing the end result though! The end result will be some way off, as apparently the final shots are to be of the children filing into the building, which they're not going to do until January, although I could possibly post the bit with the construction sooner than that...
soveryapt Posted October 18, 2012 Posted October 18, 2012 The end result will be some way off, as apparently the final shots are to be of the children filing into the building, which they're not going to do until January, although I could possibly post the bit with the construction sooner than that... That's got to be a night mare for student photo objections .. lol ..
enjay Posted October 18, 2012 Author Posted October 18, 2012 Apparently, the maximum card size you can use with a 450D is 16GB. Now, that said, when I Googled the max for my 350D is was 4GB, but I have an 8GB card in there that works just fine (after trying a friends card to check if it worked before buying my own). You know, it didn't even occur to me that there could be a limit imposed by the camera itself. I'll get a couple of 16GB ones to be safe, I don't have time to order something bigger and find I need to order something else - the building work starts next week!
enjay Posted October 18, 2012 Author Posted October 18, 2012 That's got to be a night mare for student photo objections .. lol .. Don't think so. I think we're only going to be filming during half term when the building is being assembled - after that, it will be fairly dull as the work is all going on inside (painting, carpets, furniture, IT, etc.). The image isn't going to be clear enough to identify specific faces anyway, not sure if that gets us round the fact that some children can't be photographed or not. I will check with the Headteacher though...
soveryapt Posted October 18, 2012 Posted October 18, 2012 Don't think so. I think we're only going to be filming during half term when the building is being assembled - after that, it will be fairly dull as the work is all going on inside (painting, carpets, furniture, IT, etc.). The image isn't going to be clear enough to identify specific faces anyway, not sure if that gets us round the fact that some children can't be photographed or not. I will check with the Headteacher though... Always better to .. it would be horrible if you did all of this to be told "sorry, so and so was on there somewhere, you can't use it now" .. Generally, if they can't be identified then it's normally ok, but different schools, different rules, etc (we had a couple where we pixelated them as they were mid-shot of a couple of really good shots and this was allowed, but I wouldn't want to do that for every frame! lol)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now