Jamman960 Posted July 2, 2012 Posted July 2, 2012 (edited) I've been asked how to get started with web design by one of our year 6 pupils, I've been looking for some software(preferably free) that comes with a few templates to get him started. I remember using Frontpage when I was a liitle older than him, with the templates I had the basics for a website without much effort and then went on to look into the coding side. Obviously Frontpage is long gone but is there anything similar out there that doesn't cost the earth? I had planned to spend some of my own time at lunch's/during after school clubs next term showing him a few bits however I've now found he's leaving instead of staying on for years 7/8 Cheers James Edited July 2, 2012 by Jamman960
SYNACK Posted July 2, 2012 Posted July 2, 2012 What's wrong with a bit of Notepad? Most stuff now is CMS/Blog based anyway, the key bits of building templates and tweaking them is usually best done in something low level.
danbuntu Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 What's wrong with a bit of Notepad? everything is wrong with notepad for this. At least use notepad++ and get some syntax highlighting on the go to help spot problems and understand structure. However if you want a frontpage replacement try KompoZer - Easy web authoring Synack is right though that increasingly things are CMS based so your pupil might be as well looking at wordpress/ joomla or drupal
maark Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 I think the earlier versions of Serif Webplus are free to use - can't get website up at the moment.
mats Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 Send him off to codeacademy.com to learn html and css. Then look at CMSs.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now