dgsmith Posted May 5, 2012 Posted May 5, 2012 There are so many extensions I simply just do not know where to start looking, or even what to look for! Our head wants every newsletter, parent letter etc posted on the website and I have started doing this simply by uploading via ftp and adding to a custom html module the name and link to file, with date. Obviously this is a rather manual approach and means it has to be done via backend. Does anyone know of a very simple extension that allows for uploading of files (ideally via frontend, but not a deal-breaker) that will allow for configurable options (show latest X uploads), with link to file, name and date? Seems to simple in theory but I can't seem to easily find something that fits the bill! On Joomla 1.5 btw.
hit Posted May 5, 2012 Posted May 5, 2012 I haves used rubberdoc which works really well, does everything you ask if I remember rightly.
hit Posted May 5, 2012 Posted May 5, 2012 Have just seen that rubberdoc is not available for download, will see if I have a copy laying around, it was under a GPL so should be good to distribute
hit Posted May 5, 2012 Posted May 5, 2012 Have found a copy of it on our old server and it is indeed GPL licenced so here you go com_rubberdoc_v_0.9.6.zip 1
dgsmith Posted May 6, 2012 Author Posted May 6, 2012 (edited) Looks very close to what I am after! Pity they stopped developing it 4 years ago though :/ I see it uses standard Joomla categories though to display the files, and I can't get the {doc} parameters to work in an custom html module (works in article, but only displays file name)! I am hoping to display the files within an article (via a custom html module) as opposed to having them on their independant page. Obviously there is zero support for it now which is tricky! Edited May 6, 2012 by dgsmith
hit Posted May 6, 2012 Posted May 6, 2012 Works ok for me, it has it's own categories and can embed single documents or rubberdoc categories. Remember to use the aliases, not the display names. Also it's {docs} not {doc}. From the help screen. RubberDoc is a simple Document Management extension for Joomla! v.1.5 and up. RubberDoc makes document management, organization, and sharing simple and easy! Simply install, create your categories, documents, and links, and you're all set. Create Document Categories Much like Joomla's content development process, create the Categories for you Documents first: Components > Documents > Manage Categories > New Give your Document Category a meaningful Name, Alias, Description, and Save. * Create Documents Next, create your Documents Components > Documents > Manage Documents > New Give your Document a meaningful Name, Alias, then Select a Category, write Description, Upload file and finally Save. * Creating Menu Items to the Categories Choose the Menu you wish to place the link into: ie: Menu > Main Menu (or another Menu) > New > Internal Link > Documents > Then choose either "All Categories" or "Category" and configure your Menu as usual. * Embeding article's links into the Articles You can have as many of them within an Article. Simply add either: {docs}document-one-here, document-two-here, document-three-here {/docs} {docs}media, developing-personal-leadership, communication-techniques{/docs} OR {docs category="category-alias-goes-here"} {docs category="business_building"}
hit Posted May 6, 2012 Posted May 6, 2012 Just re-read your post and see that you are nesting components and modules, I have had problems with quite a few components in the past where this can't be done, I think it's more of a problem with joomla rather than rubberdoc itself. I remember somewhere along the line having to get yet another module to replace the custom HTML one built into joomla.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now