Zoatibix Posted February 29, 2012 Posted February 29, 2012 Hello, Our college has a training restaurant which is currently bogged down with an archaic bookings system (four-part carbon copy forms, daily emailing of excel spreadsheets, etc) I've been tasked with putting a temporary solution onto our sharepoint system (which, much like my knowledge of Sharepoint is pretty basic). At the moment the suggestion is to simply throw the existing spreadsheet up or a calendar. I'm hesistant about this as I'm not sure it will provide any more functionality but given the very short time frame I have this might end up being the only option. I would like to try and build a solution in SharePoint. I thought that if I started by building lists for customers, bookings, etc I could then pull the information into a webpart. Am I starting along the correct track or is this the wrong way to go about things? I've tried googling for templates that might suffice but not come up with anything as yet. Any help is greatly appreciated. David.
GrumbleDook Posted February 29, 2012 Posted February 29, 2012 The wonderful thing about lists is that you can use forms and workflows to populate them. There are some brilliant tutorials around this on SharePoint 365 | SharePoint for the masses as well as guides on branding, etc. If you can make it to any of the SharePoint User Group UK sessions you can also find some good folk their to share ideas too.
HMCTech Posted March 1, 2012 Posted March 1, 2012 Custom list, form created in InfoPath, approval workflow and then edit list retention policy. That would be my thought process on doing what you have asked for. But with SharePoint there are many other ways to get what you want done.
jamesb Posted March 1, 2012 Posted March 1, 2012 Like Alex suggested, a custom list paired with an InfoPath form, approval workflow and bit of extension of the workflow to create bookings in a calendar list would take care of the problem happily.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now