JMB Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 Hard to know what to name this one. I've got 2 Server 2008 installations; one the DC, the other for RDP. From clients, I can ping the RDP server using its IP, but not its servername. The only machine I can ping it with using its name is the DC server. Can anyone advise? If someone can also tell me how to get domain users to be able to log onto the RDP server, please tell me! I can add local users to the RDP server and get them logged in (using the IP, not the server name) but that basically defeats the object of us having this RDP server in the first place!
glennda Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 on the rds server ensure the dns settings are correct (should be pointing to dc if hosting dns) and it should register itself - if it doesn't try running ipconfig /registerdns 1
JMB Posted February 3, 2012 Author Posted February 3, 2012 Thanks Glennda, it does indeed point to the DC for the DNS server, and I did the registerDNS both yesterday and again, in desperation, this morning. I fear I've norksed it up somewhere along the lines!
dany2010 Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 We have almost the same issue. We can ping IP addresses but not some DNS names. Im wondering if there is a bug in one of the updates as its only just started happening in the last week 1
JMB Posted February 3, 2012 Author Posted February 3, 2012 Interesting you say that, first thing I did after installing it yesterday was let it do all the updates. I wouldn't mind, because frankly this particular issue isn't really a problem, I can work around it. But not being able to access the AD records on the DC so I can add *actual* domain users is a nuisance.
RobBaxter Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 the DC most likely has network discovery on, and as such when you ping by name its attually not doing and DNS work what so ever Go to your DNS Server and check for the record. or nslookup nslookup rdp.yourschool.local 10.0.0.10(Your DNS Server IP or Name) Need to see your DNS server can reply in the first place 1
JMB Posted February 3, 2012 Author Posted February 3, 2012 The RDP server has records in both forward and reverse lookup on the DNS. nslookup rdp.yourschool.local 10.0.0.10(Your DNS Server IP or Name) - this just errored, said rdp.domain is a non-existent domain. nslookup - worked fine, found both servers and both IPs
JMB Posted February 3, 2012 Author Posted February 3, 2012 One other thing you might be able to advise me on, the MS guidance for what I'm doing, which can be found here, says to log onto the RDP server using my DC credentials (DC\administrator). But it won't let me do that. Is that necessary? I added the RDP role using the RDP server admin account, and it works (except I can't add DC/AD users).
RobBaxter Posted February 3, 2012 Posted February 3, 2012 wait... this RDP server is a member of your domain right as a "Station" be it server 2008? I don't get this ... can you PM me the full nslookup commands you droped so I can see what works and what doesn't if you for any reason don't wanna post it as a reply. Thx Also remember on a DC "Domain" is pointless, since the DCs don't have "Local" accounts in the same manor, they all work on a Active Directory only basis. Or at least that is my current understanding. I suddenly realize i have not looked at that in ages so i't not so confident. Also remember that just because something is "Server" version of windows, does not make it a domain controller and obviously you are 100% right not to let your RDP server be a DC also, that's asking for trouble.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now