JLunn Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 Would people mind giving a rough ball park figure on how much they get to spend per year with their approximate school size? Our budget this year is £70,000 for a school of approx 1050 students. This includes: Braodband services all licencing annual commitments (Microsoft, Adobe, Ghost, Smoothwall etc.) Support contracts with LA for SIMS Consumables All hardware & software development Basically everything!! Jon
CyberNerd Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 about £80 per student not including staff costs. It fluctuates a bit though, but its enough to get a ballpark 5 year renewals strategy.
dgsmith Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 (edited) Secondary school with ~720. - 3k/year for printer consumables (+ termly additions from dept usage, adding about £250 each term) - hugely inadaquate, hence some purchasing from ebay and a 98% compatible toner setup is in use - licencing/RM support/broadband paid for separately and we do not need to budget for this as it's in the overall school costs 3k/year for everything else Suffice to say, we haven't upgraded a suite of computers for 3 years now (last new batch was Jan 09). Had a "handful" (literally) of new ones and about ~20 refurbs and everything else has been as-and-when (couple of switches, components etc from the 3k budget). Oldest computers are from Summer 05 of which there are over 50 and 32 from Spring 06. These account for 25% of overall amount. Can't seem to get the money to do anything about them.. Edited January 30, 2012 by dgsmith
hit Posted January 30, 2012 Posted January 30, 2012 I know this is going to sound quite obscene, but you have to remember that I manage 5 special needs schools where IT is a massive part of everything. Our toner budgets make most schools weep but we have to have evidence of everything and a lot of that ends up being photographic evidence. Anyway, adding it all up, excluding our departments staffing costs, £380 per student!
ModeratelyGruntled Posted November 17, 2016 Posted November 17, 2016 Old thread I know, but thought better post here than start a new thread. Been talking to our Bursar about this and I've just worked out that our ICT budget stretches to approx £21 per student per year. This has to include everything - repairs to existing kit, licensing, new hardware including staff laptops and infrastructure. Printing costs mostly come out of departmental budgets but where new printers are concerned, we have to foot the bill. We're a medium sized secondary in Wales. I'm finding that most of the budget is eaten by licenses and keeping older kit running, so that by the time comes to refresh hardware I'm left with less than 50% of what I started with to buy new shinies. Is that price per pupil what it should be in relation to other school's ICT budgets? Should I be demanding more? Thanks in advance.
Ditto Posted February 26, 2017 Posted February 26, 2017 Old thread, and late reply, but one I think that is going to be increasingly topical in the next couple of years. I think you need to show what you can achieve with a higher spend. Certainly looking at the numbers in this thread, you can demonstrate you are in the bottom few already! I'm working with a couple of schools, one a growing school free school, another as a governor that is an established academy, but about to join a MAT. I'm trying to get figures, but both school profiles make that a little challenging.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now