Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is driving me crazy!!!

I have one xp pro machine that if the domain is unavailable will not allow logons except for administrator. The message the domain blah,blah is not available etc. shows and will not let anyone logon. My new machines will allow logons and then advise mapped network drives are not available. I've set all the machines up, not cloned, but cannot work out what is different with this one machine.

I really want the other machines to work in the same way but can't remember or find out how.

Posted

Sounds like this machine isn't caching logons. Assuming that you use Group Policy to manage the clients, check DNS, etc. and then make sure that the machine runs GPUPDATE OK.

 

If you aren't using Group Policy, check the local policy for stuff about cached logons.

Posted
Checked the local policy same cached logon settings as other machines. we use gpo from the server but I have run gpupdate on all machines.
Posted
Yes, but I want the other machines to not allow logons when the domain isn't available! I know I could set the cached logons to 0 on the other workstations .. but I'm intrigued as to what is making the one machine display the domain is not available message when I take the network cable out.
Posted
There is another policy IIRC that states not to allow logons if the profile is unavailable but I don't think that the same error message would be generated. What does the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) say?
Posted

Sorted - the machine that was preventing users from logging on if domain not available had cached profiles from the server we had replaced a couple of months ago. Simple solution but so frustrating to find.

 

Now I have to decide if I want to change number of cached logons to 0 or just leave it so that when/if the server is down classes can still logon and have a lesson of sorts in the suite.

Posted
I run DELPROF on every login - we dont use roaming profiles as they are redirected and everything locked down tighter than.. than... a very tight thing!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...