Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We are trying to set up a hibernation policy in our Active Directory Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 enviroment.

 

I have set the following options:

 

Computer configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - System - Sleep Settings

 

Specify the system hibernate timeout (Plugged in) : 3600 (60 minutes)

Require a Password when a computer wakes (Plugged in) : Enabled

 

However when looking at the clients under the power settings I noticed they seem to have their hibernate settings disabled / not visible by default which prevented the above from working - Once I ran the following command from a cmd prompt:

powercfg -h on

 

The policy worked as expected. Are there any policy settings available so that the hibernate options can be enabled on all PCs without having to go to them all manually? (Did try putting that command in a batch file and sticking it in the policy as a startup script but it didn't seem too happy).

 

Also with regards to the require a password option, this works for staff accounts but not for student accounts as we have disabled the lock workstation functionality for them. Can we enable the lock workstation functionality in such a way that students cannot perform the locking but this hibernation process can?

 

Thanks!

Posted

I think it's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

And there's one called HibernateEnabled iirc, from how I remember hybridsleep and hibernation are exclusive.

 

Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...