Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Firstly hello, My name is Mike. i Work at st-paul's School In Leicester. (400 DT and 100ish LT, xp/vista/7, 2003 server/exchange) 10 MB provided by our great EMBC :s

 

I Have been Jr technician here for 3 years, I don't have an formal qualifications but I do love IT :~)

Everything I know has been self taught or pick-up off my boss:) I am working towards my N+ done the A+ (found it is a bit pointless, feeling that the same maybe said for the N+).

 

Basically since I have been in this school i have help towards setting up buffalo Terastation And Vm. On which we have started running a few Linux based things :) catci, FOG and now Moodle.

 

Moodle is running on the VM with*checks* 2gb RAM, 2x 2GHZ and 60gb.

 

First question : is that enough? for 1000 students (not simultaneously)

As EMBC would not provide us with a subdomain we had to improvise : using dydns to route our IP to a URL (shocking i know)

and lastly

 

moodle3.jpg

 

Moodle.jpg

 

why does this happen with chrome IE and Firefox

 

 

Thankyou in advance

 

please be soft on me :)

Posted
You can get a hostname added to your DNS with EMBC to point to your Moodle. It is not about setting up a sub domain but a Fully Qualified Domain Name for a host. All you need to do is ask for an A record to be set up to point to the public IP you have had allocated to that server. If you are not getting anywhere with the Servicedesk then speak to your LA as they are the best people to help advise you.
Posted

Depends upon the number of concurrent users really:

 

 

Hardware

Disk space: 160MB free (min). You will require more free space to store your teaching materials.

Memory: 256MB (min), 1GB (recommended). The general rule of thumb is that Moodle can support 50 concurrent users for every 1GB of RAM, but this will vary depending on your specific hardware and software combination.

This includes hosting limits of PHP or MySQL on a hosting service.

The capacity can limit the number of users your Moodle site can handle. See User site capacities

 

Installing Moodle - MoodleDocs

 

I think 60GB will be too small if it is used. were using 150+GB on moodle to date

Posted
60GB will be OK for a short time to start with (depends how fast use of your VLE takes off). It's fairly easy with Linux to add another drive, mount it somewhere temporarily, copy over the moodledocs area and then remount it as moodledocs. Just keep an eye on the remaining space (df -v) on the drives and then provision more space as needed. If you can thin provision for your VM discs or SAN LUN's though, you might as well give it a reasonable size to start with.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
^ yes I agree. 60B will be fine to start with. Since it's a VM adding a disk will be very easy, you can move all the data over to a new partition without rebooting :)
Posted

Good Morning all,

 

60 GB is 3x what fronter had, but I will report back to the higher powers that it may not be enough. Thank you for the pointer:)

 

dook : I will also mention the dns record to him, as I don't deal with embc (*points finger at single status*)

 

any ideas why the page isn't displaying correctly?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...