Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

I'm currently up against a very annoying problem when trying to install Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008R2 and Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2008R2, I suspect this is the same for all System Center versions.

 

This error message is displayed very close to the end of the installation, at the configuring service part on either of the products. The software also completes the installation with 'all green ticks' having clicked 'close the program' on the error. Error message is:

 

Configure Service Connection Point Tool has stopped working

 

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: ConfigureSCPTool.exe

Application Version: 2.0.4521.0

Application Timestamp: 4d432d0c

Fault Module Name: ConfigureSCPTool.exe

Fault Module Version: 2.0.4521.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4d432d0c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000000274a

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 6bb0

Additional Information 2: 6bb062248084415570aeaa6ca96a6c51

Additional Information 3: e176

Additional Information 4: e176c3b9e09380cbf09c7a60435a0049

 

 

Read our privacy statement online:

Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

 

 

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

 

The software / hardware meets all pre-requisites and I'm installing it on a clean copy of Microsoft Windows Server Enterprise 2008R2 SP1. I have tried Microsoft Windows Server Standard 2008R2 SP1 too. I have also tried two different physical servers and one virtual server. All to no avail!

 

Event Log only shows:

 

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 06/09/2011 14:11:39

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: HOSTNAME

Description:

Faulting application name: ConfigureSCPTool.exe, version: 2.0.4521.0, time stamp: 0x4d432d0c

Faulting module name: ConfigureSCPTool.exe, version: 2.0.4521.0, time stamp: 0x4d432d0c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000000274a

Faulting process id: 0x6b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc6c96821d4f82

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Setup\ConfigureSCPTool.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Setup\ConfigureSCPTool.exe

Report Id: c104639a-d889-11e0-97d6-00155d01b402

Event Xml:

1000

2

100

0x80000000000000

583

Application

HOSTNAME

ConfigureSCPTool.exe

2.0.4521.0

4d432d0c

ConfigureSCPTool.exe

2.0.4521.0

4d432d0c

c0000005

000000000000274a

6b4

01cc6c96821d4f82

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Setup\ConfigureSCPTool.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\Setup\ConfigureSCPTool.exe

c104639a-d889-11e0-97d6-00155d01b402

 

I have 'googled' away, been led down many paths, but nothing which stops this error from occurring during the installation.

 

My understanding is this is something to do with when the installer is trying to edit Active Directory to include this service connection point. I've used ADSIEdit.msc to check that it isn't already there, or in fact if it had managed to add the information, I can confirm it hasn't, no service connection point is created for this server. Other service connection points do exist for other servers.

 

I can confirm I'm installing the softwares using a Domain Administration account and I have tried both Local System and creating a dedicated AD service account for SCVMM to run under...

 

Hopefully you may have the answers...

 

Kind Regards,

 

Paul

Posted

Last night we went out on a limb and tried to install MS System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 Beta. This also failed with the Service Connection Point error but did provide a little more information. Screenshot below.

 

vmm.jpg

 

Obviously we had tried running the 'exe' with the -install parameter previously, and did try again to no avail.

 

Any thoughts?

 

Kind Regards,

 

Paul

Posted
...I can confirm I'm installing the softwares using a Domain Administration account and I have tried both Local System and creating a dedicated AD service account for SCVMM to run under...

 

The software doesn't actually allow you to run the installer without being logged in as a Domain Administrator.

 

Kind Regards,

 

Paul

Posted

Thanks for the post SYNACK.

 

I have read those articles previously - and I will again. It's annoying that I can't get it to complete it normally though. Must be something not quite right with AD I assume.

 

I think you're probably right though - doing it manually is probably the answer. I also found this guide which appears a little easier to follow by amending it for this particular software... Manually Creating Service Connection Points (SCP) for SCSM - SCSM Engineering Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

  • 7 months later...
Posted

I was installing the new System Center 2012 components, starting with DPM and VMM. On each one, I had a failure of ConfigureSCP.

 

One thing popped into my head as I was driving to work... our old Conficker blocking group policy.

 

It turns out that the ConfigureSCP step during the install, and the "ConfigureSCPtool.exe -install" command line, were both being blocked by the official steps that Microsoft recommended several years ago for protecting against Conficker.

 

It's not enough to remove the policy. You need to actually reverse the steps that were taken. Fortunately, we created an "unblock Conficker" policy that restores everything back the way it was.

 

I don't know which part is necessary to reverse. We just rolled-back all of the changes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...