Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey folks,

 

I'm having go take some time away from the home base for a week or so and thought I was going to be ok given that, in the past I've had few if any issues of connecting my laptop to my exchange server at home. We had to take some time away for a week at the beginning of August and I noticed that both my iPhone and my laptop Outlook would refuse to connect succesfully to exchange (OWA timed out after asking for login details). In that instance I thought I'd nailed it down to my Smoothie 3x firewall not allowing me through to remote access anything and clear a few things... especially when I was able to test my iphone and successfully connect via the net.

 

Unfortunately we're now away again and while my iPhone is collecting emails from exchange successfully, I am finding that my laptop and any OWA access attempts (except on my iPhone!) are timing out.

 

Here's a quck synopsis of my setup:

 

ESXi server hosting Smoothwall 3.x as firewall and setup as gateway

ESXi server also hosts the Exchange server and Win2k8 server on vLAN

Exchange server has Outlook 2007 running on it to collect emails from various POP3 accounts and put into Exchange account

 

iPhone able to connect via native email client to exchange and also to OWA

 

Laptop and Mums PC (Over SKY broadband) gets intermittent connection to Exchange but fails to get anything with constant disconnects, reconnects, etc...

 

 

The one key thing that changed a few months back is that the firewall was shifted to the ESXi box from a dedicated box... It's possible I've not configured things properly with ESXi so tips welcome there...

 

Overall though, the thing I can't understand is why the iPhone connects fine but nothing else does...

 

Anyone got any ideas?

 

Thanks in advance...

 

Martin

Posted

While I'm still bashing my head against a brick wall with this...

 

I'm starting to suspect the problem is some clashing between the Port forward for 443 to the Exchange server, and the ESXi vSphere port (also 443)... That in turn makes me wonder if perhaps I've borked the Smoothie install on ESXi even though ESXi is using Smoothwall as the Gateway (Green NIC).

 

Internally the actual NIC used for everything including the smoothie green NIC is shared... Smoothie has exclusive access to the Red NIC but obviously the ESXi is potentially listening on that NIC as well, even though the VKernel and/or vManagement systems are not set for that NIC..

 

Basically, dark arts and confusion.... Anyone willing/able to leap in is going to be a $deity send at this point...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...