Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I see at least one 6.x version that says it needs a previous 6.x version to be able to upgrade. What I ask is, what is the quickest and easiest method to upgrade from 5.4.5 to the current latest?

 

Is there a direct upgrade option or will I need to upgrade to a now older 6.x version as an intermediate step?

Posted
Ok so, I see an upgrade download on the 6.3 option and a separate one on the 6.5 option - can I just upgrade from 5.4.5 using the upgrade download on 6.3 or will I effectively need to obliterate our current installation and install 6.3 as a fresh install of the whole thing?
Posted (edited)

Nick, is there a specific set of instructions for upgrading from 5.4.5 to v6.x? is it just a case of overwriting the files with the new ones and making appropriate amendments to the config file? Are there any specific v6 changes needed on the IIS Manager or is it the same as what was done for v5?

 

I decided to do the "overwrite and just amend web.config" and got:

 

Unknown error (0x80005000)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

 

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unknown error (0x80005000)

 

Source Error:

 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

 

Stack Trace:

 

 

[COMException (0x80005000): Unknown error (0x80005000)]

System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail) +420085

System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind() +36

System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject() +31

System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll(Boolean findMoreThanOne) +78

System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll() +9

HAP.AD.ActiveDirectoryHelper.getUser(DirectoryEntry root, String userName) +153

HAP.AD.ActiveDirectoryHelper.GetRolesForUser(DirectoryEntry root, String username) +35

HAP.AD.ActiveDirectoryRoleProvider.GetRolesForUser(String username) +10

System.Web.Security.RolePrincipal.IsInRole(String role) +182

System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationRule.IsTheUserInAnyRole(StringCollection roles, IPrincipal principal) +132

System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationRule.IsUserAllowed(IPrincipal user, String verb) +256

System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationRuleCollection.IsUserAllowed(IPrincipal user, String verb) +201

System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule.OnEnter(Object source, EventArgs eventArgs) +8886509

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

 

[EDIT 14:25]

I recreated the web.config file and went through it again (manually this time) and now get "The system cannot find the file specified. "

I'm sure it wasn't this hard last time!

[/EDIT]

 

...so I guess I am missing something. I couldn't find any v5.x to v6.x upgrade instructions which would help!

Edited by dgsmith
Posted

Yes Nick, I did! I removed all the 5.4.5 files (or rather copied them to another folder) and copied in all the v6.x files and went through the web.config file from scratch and changed all settings, and I am in the position noted above.

 

By upgrade instructions I just mean what actions need to be taken (i.e: does any of the IIS stuff need doing or is the documentation for configuring that no different, etc etc).

Posted

You might notice I made a minor edit below the quoted box which lists a new problem "The system cannot find the file specified. " Are there any IIS/ASP logs to point to what it might be trying to look for?

I still don't see why I should have these issues for what should be a straightforward reinstall :(

Posted
Default.aspx is the only one listed in the /Extranet folder as would have been setup when I did 5.4.5 and we continued to use basic auth.
Posted
Try accessing HAP+ from the server, it should give you a more detailed error report. Check that you have looked for CHS Easylink, and replaced this with Domain Users or the like

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...