Sheridan Posted June 21, 2011 Posted June 21, 2011 Our exchange 2003 server is nearing the 75GB database limit so we've done a lot of deleting of old emails (around 10gb!) The database is still showing 60gb and 10gb (stm and edb files) which is what they were before. I know 'whitespace' is left in the stm file, but I thought the size would have decreased after the online defrag occured overnight? The results of the defrag showed there was only about 100Mb free. The 10gb of deletions were mainly 'deleted items' so is this not reclaimed? Or does the database size not physically changed and the 'spare' space within it reused? Its quite difficult to actually see how close you are to the 75Gb limit!
ccp Posted June 23, 2011 Posted June 23, 2011 Hi Sheridan, I take it you are using the Enterprise edition as you mentioned 75Gb limit. For info the standard edition is 50Gb just in case you were unsure. It is always not recommended to perform a defrag of a mailbox store in any state. Instead I would just create a new store. Move all the mailboxes to that store then drop the existing one. Zero downtime, zero impact to the users, zero chances of data loss. Simples
sukh Posted June 23, 2011 Posted June 23, 2011 Hi Sheridan, I take it you are using the Enterprise edition as you mentioned 75Gb limit. For info the standard edition is 50Gb just in case you were unsure. It is always not recommended to perform a defrag of a mailbox store in any state. Instead I would just create a new store. Move all the mailboxes to that store then drop the existing one. Zero downtime, zero impact to the users, zero chances of data loss. Simples Actually STD has a 75GB limit with SP2 installed and Ent has 16TB. White space would be in the edb file which exch will use. Check your event viewer for 1221 which will show you how much white space you have and how much you can have back if you perform a offline defrag. Personally, I would not do a defrag as most take alot of time and fail.
PiqueABoo Posted June 23, 2011 Posted June 23, 2011 The 10gb of deletions were mainly 'deleted items' Seems too obvious, but this isn't the deleted items retention period is it?
sukh Posted June 23, 2011 Posted June 23, 2011 Seems too obvious, but this isn't the deleted items retention period is it? Good point, it seems like the the deleted items seems to be items deleted from mailboxes and not the dumpster, therefore check that settings, I think on 2003 the default is either 14 or 30 days. Also, you might want to consider using a Mailbox Manager Policy to do this deleting of emails on a schedules basis on age or size etc... If you need the data for legal reasons then you cant, but then you should look at an archiving solution, either in house or in the cloude. Also, some user education would be good too, and maybe introduce storage quotas on mailboxes. I really do recommend that you upgrade to 2010. Sukh
ccp Posted June 23, 2011 Posted June 23, 2011 Thanks for the Clarification - I forgot about post SP2.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now