Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone, have tried googling this but no luck.

 

Currently switched from an old 2003 GC to a new 2008 R2 GC, all went well and all transferred.

Have made so many changes etc I have lost track and I must of made a mistake some where.

 

When I do an NS lookup on this new server I am getting two entries one with the correct address and another with an incorrect part then correct part.

1st Entry "Name: (FQDN) Address: (IP)

2nd Entry "Name (FQDN) Adresses ::1 (then Correct IP address)

 

The entry ::1 is appearing every time I resolve the name on the "Name Servers" it does have a correct address but then it has this extra ::1

Picks up both as "Ok".

 

Strange I have just resolved an issue that IPv6 had an address even though it is unticked and the other NIC ports are disabled. I am even getting the new Win7 clients I am building showing an IPv6 address ( I believe I have fixed this ).

 

As you can guess I used all sorts of technet guides to transfer the GC/DHCP/DNS roles from one server 2003 to another 2008 r2, had everything working perfectly then out of no where I had little issues like the above.

 

Hope I have provided enough information, we are using IPv4 for our setup.

 

Any help is great thank you.

Posted

::1 is the IPv6 loopback address.

 

We had something similar when we connected an iSCSI array to some of our DCs. The IP addresses for the iSCSI NICs were being registered in DNS despite checking the option to not do so. Turns out that we were telling the DNS Server to listen on that IP address for DNS requests. Telling it to listen on the production network IP address only fixed that for us.

 

To do this, open the DNS console and get the properties of the server. The "Listen On" option is on the first tab of the dialog box.

Posted

Thanks for that, is there any where else that loopback address is sitting?

When I check the Name Server in DNS and resolve I get the IP address and the ::1 on OK, does that make a difference (I have only added the IP and not the ::1).

Posted

As long as you've only checked IPv4 address, the IPv6 loopback address should not appear in DNS. You may however need to remove it if it's already there.

 

Then again, this may be entirely unrelated and turn out to be complete nonsense!

Posted

Right after some work, the only IP address that it is listening to is the correct IPV4 address. Also did some DNS/DHCP/ADDS checking, found some issues and fixed them.

 

Still got a few weird issues popping up:

In AD/DS "The Domain Name System (DNS) host resource records for this domain controller's fully qualified domain name currently map to the IP addresses that do not belong to this domain controller. The invalid IP addresses are ::1."

 

Also in DNS "The network adapter Local Area Connection 2 does not list the loopback IP address as a DNS server, or it is configured as the first entry."

 

Now I really think there is some thing with IPV6 causing me a few problems, but not having luck in finding any settings that are pointing to IPV6 Loopback address let alone Ipv6. Any ideas?

 

This seems to be causing issues for a few Win7 clients that recently got an IP Address.

Posted

Well after more work I believe I have a DNS issue some where..

 

Nslookup is coming up as "Can't find server name"...

Even though I can \\servername\

 

On the server it self NSlookup shows "Uknown" then "IP Address"..

Posted

It has been online for about 5 weeks maybe even 6, was working fine till the last day of half term and had a few weird issues - like a loopback on our network.

 

I found a few DNS errors after some dcdiag /test:dns

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...