dgsmith Posted May 12, 2011 Posted May 12, 2011 So i've just gone to seriously consider upgrading our school joomla installation to 1.6. I've waited until a few releases after the initial one (just to let them squash those initial bugs) and until the template we're using received an update for 1.6 (which it did a week ago). Great I thought - with the exception of some less-important addons we'd be in a position to do this. Wrong. Joomla 1.6 needs PHP 5.2.4 or higher (which was released Aug 07). Seems the servers where our school site is hosted in west lancs still uses PHP 5.1.6 from Aug 06! Google searching suggests there isn't a way around this other than to upgrade PHP. A bit stuck now! Anyone from Westfield/CLEO I could contact to let them know this? I am sure there are others who will want to upgrade but can't because WF/CLEO would rather use a PHP version nearly 5 years out of date!
soveryapt Posted May 12, 2011 Posted May 12, 2011 Try e-mailing [email protected] to see what response you get, after all, that should be the person who looks after it all .. I've just checked the PHP Info for my site too and you're right, 5.1.6 .. Your only other alternative would be to find some cheap hosting elsewhere and forward all requests to that site instead, that way you still have your lancs.sch.uk bit going on for e-mails etc.
dgsmith Posted May 12, 2011 Author Posted May 12, 2011 Thanks, i'll send an email and see what they say. I fear though that it may take a number of people for them to get a shift on on this and then some time - I doubt my email alone would make them jump into gear! I hope I am wrong, I really do! I can't see the school being willing to pay for webhosting regardless of the reasons, unfortunately!
ZeroHour Posted May 12, 2011 Posted May 12, 2011 I smell centos default installs? centos I think is still running on 5.1.6 as a default. 5.3.X tree has performance gains too if they upgrade. What mysql version do you guys have access to as that has some big speed gains now.
dgsmith Posted May 12, 2011 Author Posted May 12, 2011 mysql client API version states 5.0.77. I think this should be ok for Joomla 1.6, but only just (not if it was a Win box though as that would need 5.1).
dgsmith Posted May 13, 2011 Author Posted May 13, 2011 I smell centos default installs? The system line when I check phpinfo notes: System Linux waitaha 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 23 10:52:51 EDT 2010 x86_64 The build seems fairly recent (Jun 2010) so I don't know whether this build actually does have such an old version of php or if cleo/westfield are purposely running an older version..
ZeroHour Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 The build seems fairly recent (Jun 2010) so I don't know whether this build actually does have such an old version of php or if cleo/westfield are purposely running an older version.. Yeh but for example centos yum repositories only have an old php version right now, that was all. I have not heard of a "waitaha" distro....
ZeroHour Posted May 13, 2011 Posted May 13, 2011 I'm guessing waitaha is the hostname? Probably, its been a long time since I have use phpinfo();
dgsmith Posted May 16, 2011 Author Posted May 16, 2011 There is indication that the distro is redhat linux too which doesn't give me much hope. ./configure' '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--target=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' I have yet to get any response from my email to them as well - anyone know of a direct contact?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now