Guest monkeyx Posted May 6, 2011 Posted May 6, 2011 I am looking for any UK schools that are using open source software to manage their library. Can you please let me know, as I am trying to convince our librarian to switch over and they would like to discuss this with another school librarian first.
powdarrmonkey Posted May 6, 2011 Posted May 6, 2011 I haven't used it for some time, but Koha is the killer of all FLOSS library systems.
zag Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 (edited) I looked into it but concluded all the Open Source systems were no match for paid applications in the library sector. I use a lot of open source elsewhere in the school but the library systems just didn't hold up against the others. Data migration was also a huge problem. Oh and in terms of Koha. I don't trust any software that is unable to even have a screenshot page on their website Edited May 9, 2011 by zag
Guest monkeyx Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 (edited) I joined the Koha mailing list and was directed to this resource:- lib-web-cats: an International Directory of Libraries From which I have located several UK schools using Koha. Koha has an extensive list of showcase schools and colleges around the world that are using the system. Our reasons for wanting an OSS solution is to spend more money on books and less on the system to manage them Is that just too radical? Tim Edited May 9, 2011 by monkeyx tpyo master
shenley Posted May 9, 2011 Posted May 9, 2011 We used Koha in my previous school and the library staff loved it. The librarian was the instigator of the upgrade, having had some very bad experiences with the supplier of our commercial solution. Our data migration was really easy; we had some work experience bods rescan every book into the new system. It took two of them 6 days and (probably) cost the school a lot less than paying me to sort out a database conversion. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now