vikpaw Posted April 2, 2011 Posted April 2, 2011 I just came across this, thought it would be useful to start them at an early age The only one i really couldn't stand was V for Vista, so i had to change that one. The floor is open for any amendments ABC of IT.docx
AngryTechnician Posted April 2, 2011 Posted April 2, 2011 Personally I would swap as many of the brands as possible for more generic things. For example: H = Hard Drive I = Internet (how can we leave Internet out, really?) K = Keyboard N = Network M = Microsoft (Yes, it's a brand but arguably one of the most important, and they make Messenger anyway) O = Open Source P = Printer (I may hate printers but I don't even know anyone who uses Picasa) Q = QWERTY (Possible duplication with K, but I mean, seriously, Quick Heal??) V = Virus (not disputing the fine choice of Virtualisation but I have trouble explaining it to adults let alone small children!) Z = Zip file (I'd never even heard of Zorpia before today) Of course I haven't produced graphics for any of these but I may well put something together for our ICT lab over the break. If I do, I'll share it here.
Gatt Posted April 2, 2011 Posted April 2, 2011 I agree with AngryTechnician... Replace most of the branding with more general IT references...
vikpaw Posted April 2, 2011 Author Posted April 2, 2011 I did think about non-branding, but A IS for Apple, with a start like that.... Plus, kids know brands, more likely to know Windows than OS.
elsiegee40 Posted April 2, 2011 Posted April 2, 2011 My comment is to do with age-appropriacy. If this really is aimed at young children, facebook and youtube need removing for a start.
vikpaw Posted April 4, 2011 Author Posted April 4, 2011 i concede with the facebook, but there is no limitation on youtube is there? it has safe search features no?... you're the expert i might have a play with some alternatives over lunch or tonight.
localzuk Posted April 4, 2011 Posted April 4, 2011 I did think about non-branding, but A IS for Apple, with a start like that.... Plus, kids know brands, more likely to know Windows than OS. They're also more likely to know what their favourite Spongebob episode is, but it doesn't mean they should be included. Surely you should be including things from an educational perspective, rather than simply putting what they already know and advertising brands as you do it?
AngryTechnician Posted April 4, 2011 Posted April 4, 2011 there is no limitation on youtube is there? it has safe search features no?... you're the expert No, it doesn't have a safe search (at least not that I know of). Even if it did, the biggest problem with YouTube is the foul comments rather than the content. We use quietube whenever YouTube is shown in class for that very reason.
mthomas08 Posted April 4, 2011 Posted April 4, 2011 I did think about non-branding, but A IS for Apple, with a start like that.... Plus, kids know brands, more likely to know Windows than OS. Our kids dont know apple but they do know Iphone and Blackberry.... As for youtube, its not safe... I actually did try and find some thing and I found it.. For our post16 I allow it, luckily they only care about their music videos and they know we watch it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now