Wildebeaste Posted March 5, 2007 Posted March 5, 2007 Anyone have any (good) experience of installing open source backup software on Linux (specifically Centos4/RHEL4)? I've tried MondoRescue - uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times, but it insists that mindi-busybox is missing. It works until it need to write to a disk/file. As Mondo won't install without busybox, I'm somewhat purplexed. Bacula seemed good, but again, it insists it needs something that I think is already there. I'd like something really simple. Load a RPM and bingo! Backup software works! I'd really like to backup my Moodle installation to tape/cd/dvd, whatever I can get to work - back to the metal if possible. Any suggestions (that won't take weeks to work out how to install?) ????? Ta very much.
CyberNerd Posted March 5, 2007 Posted March 5, 2007 I use rsync to backup Centos to another server, I then use tar in a cron script to backup to tape. yum install rsync should do it, but its command line based so you probably want to read the manual
openhgs Posted March 5, 2007 Posted March 5, 2007 Assuming that you have a tape drive connected to the box, use cron to run a script eg : #!/bin/bash mt -f /dev/st0 rewind find /home -print | cpio -ovBH crc -O /dev/st0 >/var/log/backuplog 2>&1 mt -f /dev/st0 rewoffl mt -f /dev/st0 eject If you don't like cpio, then use tar as suggested. If you want to backup to CD/DVD then something like #!/bin/bash IMG_SIZE=`mkisofs -R -q -print-size /home 2>&1 | sed -e "s/.* = //"` mkisofs -r /home | cdrecord speed=2 dev=1,1,0 tsize=${IMG_SIZE}s -data - oh yes, YMMV
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now