FatBoy Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 Hi all, I'm trying to convert a Windows 2008R2 Std core server using vmware vcenter converter version 4.3 and the converter can't connect to the Hyper-V machine. I get the error: Unable to contact the specified host '10.140.1.1'. The host might not be available on the network, there might be a network configuration problem, or the management services on this host are not responding. Since I can ping the server fine and its a core server my guess is that its the management services. Does anyone know which services it needs or if its even possible to convert a core server? Thanks FB
FatBoy Posted March 9, 2011 Author Posted March 9, 2011 Firstly I found the firewall was blocking my connections DOH, I found and used "netsh firewall set opmode disable" to turn it off and "netsh firewall set opmode enable" to turn it back on after. I also had to use the option, source type "Hyper-V server" and connect to the Hyper-V server ip instead of selecting "Powered-on machine" and connecting to the servers ip that I was trying to convert. After this it all worked fine Hope this helps someone!
timzim Posted March 14, 2011 Posted March 14, 2011 are you virtualising a Hyper-V machine???? Er no, he's converting it....
FatBoy Posted March 14, 2011 Author Posted March 14, 2011 Not virtualising a Hyper-v machine it is already virtual but porting it from Hyper-v to VMware
rbance Posted March 14, 2011 Posted March 14, 2011 whew....you won't believe it, but I did see a Govt Dept. attempt this last year....it was an interesting moment.... funny thing is...I have never considered Hyper-V as a virtualisation solution at all.....not even in a test environment...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now