Jamman960 Posted December 3, 2010 Posted December 3, 2010 Hey guys, Our Finance server became flakey the other day and I hadn't done the FMS SQL 2008 migration as yet, I decided to migrate the db over to our sims server and get rid of the accounts server all togeather(its just a powerful workstation with win2k3 installed). Before I managed to carry out the migration the server became unbootable. Anyway... I have a full backup of the FMS db, when restoring it to our sql 2k5 instance the sysman username won't work so I've restored it directly to our SQL 2k8 instance and it appears to be working(I can logon and view various bits without error) - I noticed that the Sims migration util just detatched and reattatched the db along with doing a few file updates. Is the FMS one the same? Cheers, James
dwhyte85 Posted December 3, 2010 Posted December 3, 2010 (edited) I don't know whether this will work or not and of course if it breaks, don't blame me. The technician at Capita resolved my issue with the same problem but on SIMS db by using this tool. You'd need to know the SA password though (if it'll work!). It was run on the server with the db. He went to tools and the option was there. - Just ran it, option is on it to reset sysman for FMS and SIMS under tools. Edited December 3, 2010 by dwhyte85 1
GREED Posted December 3, 2010 Posted December 3, 2010 I think echo the above... if it breaks expect to pay big to Capita to fix! 1
Jamman960 Posted December 3, 2010 Author Posted December 3, 2010 Nice one, will attempt to reset sysman password and migrate properly. Have logged a case on supportnet asking for advice also. If needs be I could setup a fresh sql2k5 install somewhere and attach the db to that. James
Jamman960 Posted December 3, 2010 Author Posted December 3, 2010 (edited) Update: Thank you very much! the tool to reset the sysman password worked perfectly. Have now reset the password on the 2k5 instance and migrated it using the tool... I'd presume simply attaching the 2k5 db on the 2k8 instance would have worked also but might aswell do things properly Edit: Capita have confirmed that restoring the backup/attaching the database from a 2k5 instance to a 2k8 instance will work, they've sent over a patch to ensure the recovery model setting is correct. Thankfully the server decided to break while we were closed for snow so I haven't had anyone complaining about the downtime if only all servers could wait for some downtime before breaking James Edited December 3, 2010 by Jamman960 additional info
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now