Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Microsoft To Be In Court Again Over Unfair Practices?


Recommended Posts

Posted
As free anti virus solutions already exist and this software is optional, I don't really see how Trend Micro has a leg to stand on? I can fully understand why they're unhappy because it's doing them out of business, but surely that's just the way the world works?
Posted
As free anti virus solutions already exist and this software is optional, I don't really see how Trend Micro has a leg to stand on? I can fully understand why they're unhappy because it's doing them out of business, but surely that's just the way the world works?

 

I thought they were trying to make a similar point to the one made about browsers. Internet Explorer is included in Windows but there are other [free] browsers out there. My preference is to not use Internet Explorer. However I guess the difference in this latest little spat is Security Essentials is free and [some of] the alternatives are not.

Posted
I thought they were trying to make a similar point to the one made about browsers. Internet Explorer is included in Windows but there are other [free] browsers out there. My preference is to not use Internet Explorer. However I guess the difference in this latest little spat is Security Essentials is free and [some of] the alternatives are not.

 

Plus, Internet Explorer was installed without confirmation when the dispute was made (hence the browser choice update), security essentials isn't...

Posted

Typical, bad software trying to compete on a legal platform rather than a technology one.

 

Those that can, do. Those that can't, sue.

 

Just ask the Opera team about that.

Posted

If the ComputerWorld article is correct, it would appear that Trend Micro can't even get their facts straight regarding MSE...

 

Trend Micro's response shows a poor understanding of the action Microsoft has taken. MSE is being offered not through Windows Update, but through the related Microsoft Update service. Microsoft Update, which updates a broad range of Microsoft products and occasionally offers new ones, requires a deliberate opt-in: it isn't enabled by default. Moreover, MSE will only be offered to customers who do not have an existing antivirus product installed—and in any case is offered as an optional download.

 

Though an antirust suit over an optional download that is only offered after enabling an optional feature seems unlikely, that competitors would even raise such concerns shows Microsoft's uniquely peculiar position in the industry. The third-party software vendors are more than happy to insist that Windows needs antivirus software and that using a Windows machine without such software is dangerous—but if Microsoft agrees with their assessment and tries to improve the situation itself, they threaten to cry foul. (Source)

 

 

I can fully understand why they're unhappy because it's doing them out of business, but surely that's just the way the world works?

It's going to do them out of even more business now. If people didn't know about MSE, they certainly will now. I imagine Microsoft are really pleased - lots of free advertising for thier free anti-virus.

 

Typical, bad software trying to compete on a legal platform rather than a technology one.

Exactly. Trend Micro have a habit of doing this. They tried to kill off ClamAV a few years ago with bogus patent threats. It is pretty obvious they only care about making money, rather than producing better software. If MSE wasn't any good, would they still bother complaining?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...