g110yd Posted November 2, 2010 Posted November 2, 2010 (edited) Hello i was wondering if any Mac guru's could provide me with some much appreciated help. We have added our new iMac to the windows domain and i've written an applescript that I want to run whenever an active directory user logs in. The problem I'm having is I cant find out how to get it to run with every user's login. There are numerous guides on the web for each inidividual user, but im having no joy finding a solution for active directory users. I've tried having a little dabble with some loginhooks but still no go. I really want to use this script as it contains some logic to map network drives based on the type of user who is logging onto the Mac. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful. Thanks Edited November 3, 2010 by g110yd
g110yd Posted November 3, 2010 Author Posted November 3, 2010 Hi there no we don't have a mac server.
MartynJ Posted November 3, 2010 Posted November 3, 2010 Im not too sure if you can or how to run the script without a mac server. We have one here and it works a treat. How many mac's do you have at your location? It could be a good idea if you are managing 15+ mac's to put a server in place as then you can manage permissions etc. Someone here may know the answer without the use of a server though.
g110yd Posted November 3, 2010 Author Posted November 3, 2010 We just have the one imac here at the moment that we are messing about with the theory of what we would do if we have more. Shame if it cant be done without need for a server as the applescript runs great if clicked on manually. Will look into server anyway Thanks.
Carter Posted November 3, 2010 Posted November 3, 2010 If you don't have a server to push out the script you can pace it into your image. Here are two very good sources on getting your script to work at login. Implementing Login and Logout hooks for System Management & Creating a login hook
g110yd Posted November 3, 2010 Author Posted November 3, 2010 Right I have gone back and revisited LoginHooks and got it to work with an example shell script. The problem I think I have is that I am calling an applescript and referencing to the finder appilcation. At the point the shell script tries to call the applescript it falls over because I dont think finder is running yet. I've tried the sleep command, but that just delays the login. Does anyone know if there is a way to make a shell script wait until the Finder Application has launched then run the applescript. Thanks for the help so far.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now