acrobson Posted October 29, 2010 Posted October 29, 2010 Slightly off the IT topic, I just wondered if anyone new of a basic mobile phone which has an SOS message feature similar to the Samsung B130? The phone just needs to be basic for one of our users, with text and phone call ability basiclly with the option to send something like a one button pre-defined SOS message. Accessories for the Samsung B130 (UK, Black) - eXpansys UK Manual - http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200812/20081201132524484/SGH-B130_QG_Eng_Final.1.0_080519.pdf Cheers,
jamesb Posted October 29, 2010 Posted October 29, 2010 Any of these any good? Granny friendly phones ? reghardware
acrobson Posted October 29, 2010 Author Posted October 29, 2010 Thanks Jamesb, some of those look ideal, however, as with any niche market, the price tags are a little steep. I was really impressed with the Samsung B130 (Being around the £30-£40 mark), the only thing stopping me from getting it is the fact that Expansys don't have any is stock and don't know when they will have. Otherwise that would have been a sure deal. Any other suggestions? Ideally, a normal basic phone with the ability to send a SOS message with a press of a button would be spot on. Thanks again!
jamesb Posted October 29, 2010 Posted October 29, 2010 You could go with a cheap Symbian phone and use an app like this - Download Smart SOS 1.1 for Symbian Free Trial - Smart SOS is presented as a perfect personal safety companion. With this application you can GPS location and snap images to your friends or family with only one click. In other words, Smart SOS can sav
acrobson Posted October 29, 2010 Author Posted October 29, 2010 Yeah, I did think of something like that. I just need to find somekind of compriise between good tactile feedback (such as buttons as appose to a touch screen) and the SOS message features. Food for thought...
jamesb Posted October 29, 2010 Posted October 29, 2010 The Symbian app appears to work without a touchscreen, or GPS, and just needs a long press on one button to send the SOS out. I'm sure there are others out there too, probably free ones.
acrobson Posted October 29, 2010 Author Posted October 29, 2010 Cool, what handsets support Symbian? I've always been a Android/Windows Mobile guy myself, but there far too pricey and complicated for the task at hand.
jamesb Posted October 29, 2010 Posted October 29, 2010 If you're looking for something cheap, Nokia's probably the way to go. Almost all of their handsets run Symbian.
acrobson Posted November 1, 2010 Author Posted November 1, 2010 Thanks all for your replies, I finally found a Samsung B130, new and unlocked on ebay which will do just the trick. Now I just need to see if it turns up!!! Cheers, AC
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now