soveryapt Posted October 8, 2010 Posted October 8, 2010 Hi All Right, I've put Office 2010 into my main machine image given that you can't install via GPO anymore, and besides, we have more than enough licenses for all the machines now, so I don't have to be picky! The only problem I have is that when office eventually decides it needs to activate itself, it needs an administrators credentials to do so. This is really annoying as I'm obviously not omnipresent (not mastered that one yet) so I'm not there when it needs doing and I'm finding now that staff are starting to log "Word has a big red bar at the top and I don't know what I've done", so although I'm finding out where the machines that need activating are, I don't want to have to do this for every single machine. Is there a way to get around this? Cheers all Andy
Guest TheLibrarian Posted October 8, 2010 Posted October 8, 2010 Install a KMS server, the server registers an srv entry in DNS that the clients will look for and authorise themselves. Also use the VAMT 2.x gui to manage the licenses.
soveryapt Posted October 8, 2010 Author Posted October 8, 2010 I tried to install a KMS Host for Office, but it said the key was invalid .. I'll try again ..
Guest TheLibrarian Posted October 8, 2010 Posted October 8, 2010 Did you install the update to allow the KMS server to authenticate Office 2010? If not that's your issue right there, because KMS out of the box will report the key as invalid if you haven't installed the update. Now, unfortunately I can't remember where I got the update, I can't find it here (I personally didn't download it so it's not where it should be) and I can't remember the name of it - but at least you could be on the right path now.
soveryapt Posted October 8, 2010 Author Posted October 8, 2010 Did you install the update to allow the KMS server to authenticate Office 2010? If not that's your issue right there, because KMS out of the box will report the key as invalid if you haven't installed the update. Now, unfortunately I can't remember where I got the update, I can't find it here (I personally didn't download it so it's not where it should be) and I can't remember the name of it - but at least you could be on the right path now. I'll go and check it out ..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now