Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

[OFFICE 2003 - Publisher] - For the love of God, someone cure my saving woe !!


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, this one is really weird and is severely twisting my mind !!

 

I will try to explain as exact as I can.

 

Summary of the issue - User cannot overwrite by save from Publisher.

 

 

Explanation -

 

User goes into IT Suite X, User creates a document in Publisher 2003 , saves the .pub as Test1. User later opens the .pub and makes some changes and then goes to save the .pub over the original, error box comes up with "Publisher cannot save the file". Nothing more.

 

User goes into IT Suite Y, same software, opens .pub , makes changes and saves over the original. Save works.

 

Log in to IT Suite X as Admin, open up the original Users document from the Users documents, makes some changes, saves...also gets the "Publisher cannot save the file" error.

 

Admin goes into IT Suite Y, is able to amend and update the file as normal.

 

Office 2003 in IT Suite X has been reinstalled and any local profiles on the machines have also been cleaned out.

 

User is able to save and overwrite in any other application, including office apps, its purely something which happens in Publisher only.

 

My mind is melted from looking at this one, anyone got any thoughts or seen it before?

Posted

Here is a total left field idea, are there different printers mapped in ICT suite x. Does it still do it if there are no printers mapped before you try to resave.

 

Publisher 98-2003 had a nasty habbit of saving printer settings in the files for better rendering or something. If it has some kind of problem with one of the drivers when trying to read out the data on a resave maybe this could be causing it.

 

As I said total long shot but could be worth a look if your out of other ideas.

Posted

Thanks, it does have different printers. I havent tried without the printers installed, but its worth a shot so I'll give it a try.

 

One thing though, when I am logged in as admin , I am able to save and re-save to the admins documents area perfectly fine which I wouldnt have thought I could do if it was printer related, which increases the weirdity of whats going on.

Posted

My money would be on the printers as well... try changing the printer to "microsoft office document image writer" before saving.

 

I've had similar issues to this porting publisher documents between home and school

Posted

Aha ! I might have known that my de-caged presence would lure a female or two ;)

 

Certainly worth a shot, I'll go and strip out all the printers on one machine and see if it has any effect, hopefully so.

 

One other bit of info which might help to diagnose whats going on, users can overwrite-save fine to USB stick, just not to anywhere else.

Posted
Aha ! I might have known that my de-caged presence would lure a female or two ;)

 

Certainly worth a shot, I'll go and strip out all the printers on one machine and see if it has any effect, hopefully so.

 

One other bit of info which might help to diagnose whats going on, users can overwrite-save fine to USB stick, just not to anywhere else.

 

Nice to see you back Jake ;)

 

Us girls miss you as ever! :D

Posted

Hehe, I so rarely get time out of my cage since changing schools, insanely busy here (8th largest school in England, least it was last year)

 

Have tried stripping out all the printers, still doing the same thing. Darned frustrating.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...