CyberNerd Posted January 16, 2007 Posted January 16, 2007 I seek the help of a MSWindows Licensing guru. 300 ish Thin clients (some linux, some WinCE) Remote access from home for 1800 users. Windows 2000 servers My solution is to buy 300 TS Device CALS and one 'External connector license' however, I was reading this which says Terminal Services Internet Connector licensing may only be used for anonymous connections from non-employees. Granted students are non-employees, but anonymous connection ? what does that mean? users don't authenticate ? The problem is that if all students are connecting in from outside they might start eating my device cals ? which leaves me with user cals - do I need to buy one for each user £11.50 x 1800 might just give my boss a heart attack. whats your advice
CyberNerd Posted January 19, 2007 Author Posted January 19, 2007 @ webman, thanks I did read and am still a bit confused. Will phone phone MS/FAST tomorrow and ask their opinion.
alonebfg Posted January 19, 2007 Posted January 19, 2007 one of the best people to call are ramsys or any other licencing comp as they tend to tell you in a you will understand microsoft just seem to quote there rules and can get confusing.
Ric_ Posted January 19, 2007 Posted January 19, 2007 I spoke to Ramesys about this a couple of days ago as it happens... My account manager double checked and this is what you need: * 1x Device CAL per machine that will connect to your TS server(s) * 1x Terminal Services External Connector License The ECL cannot be used to license use of terminals within your establishment.
CyberNerd Posted January 19, 2007 Author Posted January 19, 2007 Thanks Ric. I had almost come to this conclusion, the bit I'm unclear about is whether the ECL is only available to 'anonymous connections' - and not users in our AD tree?. My current understanding is that Teachers (employees) are not covered by ECL's so if they want to connect from outside the school they would need separate user CAL's in addition to the device CALs for each workstation?. I know that ECL can only be used on one server - without any other licensing (a sepatare server needed, only to be used for students connecting from outside) but is it ok to 'mix and match' user and device CALs on other Terminal servers? Also do we need server (not TS) CAL's for each user in our AD tree ?. Absolute minefield, I long the day when we use only linux. Does this sound about right? TIA
Ric_ Posted January 19, 2007 Posted January 19, 2007 @CyberNerd: The way it was explainjed to me, the ECL is used for people outside of your LAN (not just anonymous connections). I must admit that I forgot to ask whether the ECL was per server or per site... the £1k pricer tag took me aback. You will need to 'mix and match' licenses to implement your solution.
CyberNerd Posted January 19, 2007 Author Posted January 19, 2007 ta, The document webman linked says ECL can only be used on one server and can't be used for employees. Another £6k for M$ I'll mention FreeNX, but probably management will just pay it.
Ric_ Posted January 19, 2007 Posted January 19, 2007 @CyberNerd: Talk to Paul Sheeran at Ramesys... you never know your luck and you might get a couple of pounds knocked off
DMcCoy Posted January 19, 2007 Posted January 19, 2007 Its the same with exchange. To use Web access, you also need an Exchange CAL for each user accessing the mail from outside, and also one for their machine inside. Not quite sure how to check that under Schools agreement, all the machines are covered with the desktop schools client, I guess external access will have to be added as exchange cals on top.
CyberNerd Posted January 19, 2007 Author Posted January 19, 2007 Thanks. I'll report back to Management with ballpark figures, then talk to ramesys. Only have exchange for staff - students have a superior webmail system that doesn't require licenses - reminds me there is a major update to zimbra.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now