BBrian Posted August 24, 2010 Posted August 24, 2010 (edited) I don't know where I found out I could, but I have Windows 7 64 bit installed on a Pentium 4 2.8 HT desktop. When I finish my upgrades (this week/next) every computer in the school will be 64 bit except one of the servers. This is also a Pentium 4 HT, but at 2.4. It's running Server 2008, but we have Software Assurance so can install 2008r2 on it. 2008r2 is only 64 bit. So, obviously, can I do this?? There's very little information out there about it. Edited August 24, 2010 by BBrian
Ric_ Posted August 24, 2010 Posted August 24, 2010 @BBrian: It all depends on what processor it has... the early P4 HT chips weren't x64 and the later ones were.
sted Posted August 24, 2010 Posted August 24, 2010 you can install it if the archiecture supports it but no upgrade exists between x86 and x64 its fresh install time. I believe the ht enabled p4 as x64 compatible but i wouldn't swear to it isnt there a compatibility check on the dvd? 1
Jamman960 Posted August 24, 2010 Posted August 24, 2010 Run CPU-Z on the sever to find its model then check either the intel website or here: List of Intel Pentium 4 microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are so many different models it could be. 1
BBrian Posted August 24, 2010 Author Posted August 24, 2010 Doesn't look good. Seems it's a Northwood and Wikipedia doesn't say any of those are 64. I put in the disc and it said my computer can't run this version of Windows. Though it said that instantaneously, but I believe it.
jamesfed Posted August 24, 2010 Posted August 24, 2010 Might it be a server that you would be better off without if its of that kind of age? If you need the seriously need the service thats its providing could you move that onto one of your other boxes or maybe implment a bit of virtulisation on one of your servers to run a second OS at the same time?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now