acrobson Posted July 16, 2010 Posted July 16, 2010 Hi, Is it possible to configure the order in which DNS server addresses are handed out in server 2003? The current DNS server we have hands out the DNS server IP addresses in a certain order at the moment and I would like to change the order and swap them round. This probably sees like a really silly question! Cheers....
plexer Posted July 16, 2010 Posted July 16, 2010 Sure just change them in your dhcp scope on the server that deals with dhcp, simples. Ben
acrobson Posted July 16, 2010 Author Posted July 16, 2010 Of course! DHCP. I had my head in DNS. I've been working on GPO and stuff all this week and it had my ehad done in. All done before the weekend though.....woop woop! Cheers man!
powdarrmonkey Posted July 17, 2010 Posted July 17, 2010 If your DNS infrastructure relies on clients using servers in the right order, it's already broken. DNS is round-robin redundant for very good reasons. Well-designed DNS means any server can answer any query, either by authoritatively, forward lookup, or reference. The content of this post is the opinion of my self and not that of my team or employer, i do not guarantee all comments to be true or correct at time of publish. I apologise for any offence any comment may cause. Are you in the habit of posting offensive comments??
acrobson Posted July 17, 2010 Author Posted July 17, 2010 The way DNS is set up works for the site in question as a whole, I took over this site some time ago and in order to get it to an acceptable level would take more resources and man power than is allowed under both the SLA and what the 'customer' is willing to pay. As for my signature, I am certainly not in the habit of causing offence, however, I find (not on here to date) that some people can be too sensitive at times. Cheers!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now