IanT Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 I watched this yesterday as I always do!.................a question came up about following through with BSF...........David Cameron has said they PLAN to follow the BSF through and that the education money is protected. Interesting. Also on bbc site today http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/10217450.stm
jsnetman Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Not sure but I think his answer may refer to schools who have reached financial closure.
tech_guy Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Yes, I think it refers to schools where the commitment has been made. I don't believe there will be any new BSF projects implemented.
jsnetman Posted June 3, 2010 Posted June 3, 2010 Just watched it on Iplayer and he did not specifically say BSF would stay he said he supported building new schools but I suspect in the guise of acadamies and free schools. It's always very difficult to actually get a straight answer from a politician on whatever side of the fence.
ROBOCOP Posted June 10, 2010 Posted June 10, 2010 I think the Tories have slagged off BSF so much that they cannot do anything else but scrap it however I suspect they will just re-introduce PFIs (which after all they invented) to finance all the new Academies which they want. At least PFIs don't generally include ICT or getting the private sector embroiled in delivering education which BSF did.
torledo Posted June 10, 2010 Posted June 10, 2010 I watched this yesterday as I always do!.................a question came up about following through with BSF...........David Cameron has said they PLAN to follow the BSF through and that the education money is protected. Interesting. Also on bbc site today BBC News - More than 1,000 schools want to be academies what's interesting ? that maybe you've gotten the wrong end of the stick ? agreed.
u8dmtm Posted June 17, 2010 Posted June 17, 2010 (edited) At least PFIs don't generally include ICT or getting the private sector embroiled in delivering education which BSF did. This is not neccesarily a good or logical thing. Let's not forget that, like it or not, private sector involvement in ICT is more dynamic and reliable due to the presures of competition and stringent SLAs and transfering or halting the addition of onsite ICT staff onto the public sector payroll helps to take pressure off the public sector pension schemes and payroll. Meanwhile, the bit that traditional PFI does, i.e. building a shiny new school is the expensive bit and arguably the bit of BSF which is most ripe for dropping given the questionable returns. For the above reasons I think the new government would be wise to look to widely increase the level of private sector involvement in things like school ICT design and managed services whilst opting for refurbishments as opposed to shiny new buildings. Edited June 17, 2010 by u8dmtm
ROBOCOP Posted June 18, 2010 Posted June 18, 2010 Let's not forget that, like it or not, private sector involvement in ICT is more dynamic and reliable due to the presures of competition and stringent SLAs and transfering or halting the addition of onsite ICT staff onto the public sector payroll helps to take pressure off the public sector pension schemes and payroll. For the above reasons I think the new government would be wise to look to widely increase the level of private sector involvement in things like school ICT design and managed services. Hmm, I don't think everyone here will agree with your opinion.
u8dmtm Posted June 18, 2010 Posted June 18, 2010 No doubt, but the huge variation in costs, standards, accountability and quality of the current organic approaches needs to be addressed and will ensure predictable costs, standards, accountability and quality.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now