Behuck Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 I have installed both the Hive Cleanup and Delprof on my client systems (running W2K and/or XP Pro) with Delprof set up to run when someone logs on to the system (running through scheduled tasks). For most of the systems, it seems to be working well, but on some systems (especially XP pro clients), it isn't removing all the profiles of other students. Any suggestions as to why and what I need to do to get deprof to work properly? I also need to know what the add-ons (/i; /r; /d; etc.) mean (I know what /q means - runs quietly. Footnote: I have looked at the Remote Profile Cleaner, unfortunately, you apparently have to pay for a license to use it beyond 2 months, even though it is listed/promoted as free. I would really like to use it.... Behuck
ajbritton Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 First of all, are you using roaming/mandatory profiles or just local profiles? This page will give you the syntax for the various parameters. I always run Delprof from a Startup script which ensures nobody is logged on (except System I suppose) when it runs.
Geoff Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 Footnote: I have looked at the Remote Profile Cleaner, unfortunately, you apparently have to pay for a license to use it beyond 2 months, even though it is listed/promoted as free. I would really like to use it.... It's only 20 quid!
Ric_ Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 IIRC you need to run delprof from a startup script so that it has sufficient priviledges to clean up the profiles. It also makes sure that Windows hasn't locked any of the profiles... like it tends to do for no apparent reason (other than to pee you off!). I would add the following to a startup script: delprof /q /i This runs delprof, ignoring any errors... by default delprof will stop running if an error occurs (e.g. a profile is locked in use). Another handy switch is /c: which allows you to run delprof remotely on a computer. There are issues with this but it works OK.
plexer Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 Is that remote profile cleaner from: http://www.no-nonsens.nl/ Or somewhere else? $45 for a single non server licence. Single server is $199 unlimited server $379 Ben
Geoff Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 Firstly, the prices are in Euros. Sencondly you don't need a server license. You can run and do everything you need to do with a workstation license. You can also cheat and download the beta, which has no restrictions.
plexer Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 Euros dollars currency If you had more than one machine using your 1 machine licence to clean up it's profiles then presumably that would be against the licencing terms. Ben
Kyle Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 I have a vbscript that runs in a Computer Config>scripts>start up. It deletes all local profiles apart from Administrator and All Users. We run it now and then to clear up any rogue profiles left behind. I have set GPO to delte and roaming profiles on log off but you always get the odd one left on if the kids have just turned the pc off at the wall etc. PM me if you want a copy.
alonebfg Posted December 4, 2006 Posted December 4, 2006 that sounds really good is it possable i can have a lok please would love to use it myself
Behuck Posted December 5, 2006 Author Posted December 5, 2006 THX to everyone who responded - very much appreciated! I have tried adding the /d:nn switch to delprof, unfortunately on some XP boxes, it still does not remove the local profiles. So, I'm still searching for a reason as to why this happens when delprof is suppose to remove all the local profiles. As to purchasing the Remote Profile Cleaner software - I'm not a cheap individual, but I work for a school district that is struggling for funding of any kind for technology, so I look for whatever I can that would be free. I'm sure that the RPC software is well worth the money. I haven't tried any logon script yet with delprof as I'm not very good at writing scripts, so any asistance on any of the above would be again appreicated. Behuck
spacemanvic Posted December 13, 2006 Posted December 13, 2006 reboot the machines in question, then run delprof again. I've run into the same boat, and a reboot fixed my issues.
spacemanvic Posted December 13, 2006 Posted December 13, 2006 BUT!! How do you get it to run on a domain? Anyone have a script which runs it on multiple pcs within a domain? I have 365 machines to run it on
ChrisH Posted December 13, 2006 Posted December 13, 2006 Put it as a startup and shutdown script as suggested.
spacemanvic Posted December 13, 2006 Posted December 13, 2006 Well, what if I want to run it as a bat on occassion? I tried running a bat using this: start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\102CPC1 start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\105PPC1 start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\106SPC1 start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\107BPC1 start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\A10PC1 start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\A10PC2 start c:\delprof /q /i /c:\\A10PC3 etc..... But, it didnt do a delprof on all the PCs. A bunch of CMD windows popped up, but it only did a PC at the end of the run. What am I missing? Also, these are all profiles with redirected folders. The roaming profile delete profile GPO I dont think will work for me.....
ChrisH Posted December 13, 2006 Posted December 13, 2006 When I did this for the first time a few years ago I used psexec from sysinternals to do it. I know they have changed the licencing as they have gone to work for M$ now so I would check if its still ok to use it in that capacity as a free tool.
spacemanvic Posted December 14, 2006 Posted December 14, 2006 ok, I go this to work for me: for /f %a in (computers.txt) do (delprof.exe /I /Q /C:\\%a) I extracted PC names from AD into a text file, cleaned it up, then ran the above command. BUT, it takes forever. Is there a way to get multiple instances to run at the same time? I think using the START command would help, but then what would I need to change in the above command to get it to work as a bat?
Geoff Posted December 14, 2006 Posted December 14, 2006 for /f %a in (computers.txt) do (start delprof.exe /I /Q /C:\\%a)
spacemanvic Posted December 14, 2006 Posted December 14, 2006 for /f %a in (computers.txt) do (start delprof.exe /I /Q /C:\\%a) Yup, and add %%a in place of %a for it to run as a bat
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now