HallX Posted March 25, 2010 Posted March 25, 2010 Hi I'm playing with some virtual machines to get a flavour of how Mac's can integrate with AD, my setup is 2003 AD & OS X 10.6. I've bound the Mac Server to AD using Directory Utility (DNS has forward & reverse lookup host A records, hostname resolving OK) & created an OD Server. Using Workgroup Manager I can see the AD accounts but when I try to create their home folders on the Mac (I've told Directory Utility not to use their Windows home folders) I receive the following error: Error of type eDSNoStdMappingAvailable (-14140) on line 574 of /SourceCache/WorkgroupManager/WorkgroupManager-361.2.1/Plugins/UserAccounts/UserVolumesPluginView.mm It seems to be some kind of authentication error, but I'm stumped :-( Any ideas Paul
TomH Posted March 25, 2010 Posted March 25, 2010 Sounds like your trying something that isn't possible without Augmented records, you cannot just specify an alternative home folder for AD users within workgroup manager directly against the AD account, this would effectively try to write the home directory back into Active Directory into a attribute that doesn't exist in the standard schema. Maybe a break down of the steps you are taking would help to confirm this
HallX Posted March 26, 2010 Author Posted March 26, 2010 Hi Tom Thanks for the reply. We are running a vanilla network with 1000+ windows computers & around 80 Macs. The Macs are used by the art department for extensive photo/arty type things that require lots of disk space. To this end we have a Mac server in the workgroup where these documents are kept. We have created user accounts in the workgroup manager the same as their windows accounts but obviously the passwords are different. This is causing confusion. My plan is to bind the OS X server to AD for authentication, but when user logon to the Macs, they only get their Mac home folder, when they logon to Windows PC's, they only get their Windows user area. Administration of their usernames/passwords can now hopefully be done through AD. I have followed the steps in the first post to achieve this end (hopefully). Please be gentle, I'm a Mac newbie!!!! Paul
TomH Posted March 26, 2010 Posted March 26, 2010 Paul, Sounds like you need to look at augmented records if you wish to work with live home folders, otherwise a local home folder with a network mount to the users folder on the mac storage, utilizing a push pull model may provide the best performance. I would strongly suggest getting your mac suppliers consultants in to discuss your options, most will do this FOC I know we certainly do. Also it might be worth setting up a couple of test machines with each solution to see which best suites your enviroment. Tom
HallX Posted March 26, 2010 Author Posted March 26, 2010 Hi Tom If the Mac users were to have a local home folder, I can envisage the carnage!!!! (Cant find me work Sir. Which computer were you working on? Dont know Sir!!), sounds like live home folders for me. Can you point me in the right direction for newbie augmented records information. Regards Paul
TomH Posted March 26, 2010 Posted March 26, 2010 Paul, In that case you have two options , syncing home folders that sync back to the mac storage, giving you local speed with the advantage of central backup and ability to move from machine to machine. This is easily implemented. Augmented records is a little more tricky, I'm on site currently but when I'm back I'll dig out some links for you for both solutions. Tom
DMcCoy Posted March 26, 2010 Posted March 26, 2010 There are other options, although still not ideal. I have a server sharing Mac user files with AFP, set up with exactly the same share names as the PC file server. Mac clients get a modified hosts file to point to this server instead and set to afp for the AD home folder. The biggest issue is that home folders need to be created for users manually and the permissions set as it is not automatically created. I'm not even using a Mac server for afp as it's just too unreliable (10.6.2 directory service deadlock is an example). I'm using Extremez-ip on windows instead.
TomH Posted March 26, 2010 Posted March 26, 2010 DMcCoy - sneaky ! Lots of people do it like that though , it's easy to maintain with images.. Sometimes it trips Kerberos up and it's not really considered best practice, but if it works it works :-) With regards to creating the folders and setting permissions we always script it, services in 10.6 are even better allowing us to build a service for the creation of users from say a text file. Tom
TomH Posted March 26, 2010 Posted March 26, 2010 (edited) p.s ExtremeZ-Ip is a great product ;-) http://info.jigsaw24.com/extremez-ip Edited March 26, 2010 by TomH Link
HallX Posted March 26, 2010 Author Posted March 26, 2010 Tom Thanks, I'll await the web links. DMcCoy I'll give this a dose of looking at when I get a minute. Regards Paul
TomH Posted March 26, 2010 Posted March 26, 2010 HallX : Augmented Records : AFP548 - Record Augmentation - Part 1 - The Cylinder of Destiny Synchronised Home Folders to Mac Storage : As a Managed preference use com.apple.MCX with the following : Always Synchronisation URL / string / afp://server.domain.com/Users/%@ No need for Augmented Records if your just using Sync. Tom. 1
HallX Posted March 29, 2010 Author Posted March 29, 2010 TomH Thanks for this. Will give this a go at home this week sometime & let you know how I get on. Cheers Paul
HallX Posted March 30, 2010 Author Posted March 30, 2010 I'm following the cylinder of destiny link, unfortunately I cant find the plist file I created to edit it Can anyone help. Regards Paul
TomH Posted March 31, 2010 Posted March 31, 2010 Hi Paul, The plist is entered into the augmentconfiguration within workgroup manager, so it's more of a entry than a file I suppose. I'll dig some more links out for you when I'm back in the office next week, I think bombich has some automation scripts for creating your users augmented records. Tom
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now