Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Has anybody had any experiences of the Sony Virtuoso and Soloist Experiences Language Learning software?

 

Both positive and negative opinions would be very hellpful.

Posted
One of the best (arguably the best) products on the Market but expensive. I occasionally contract for a company who install the product for the sole UK distributor.
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Lab 300 works well most of the time. A few "issues" in the past, and support can be, how shall I say it, patchy. No, that's wrong... Could do better.

 

At the moment, I need to work out why the teacher can't listen to material at the master machine. Some insignificant looking tick box somewhere I'm sure!

Posted

So it's a system that allows language teachers to interact visually and verbally with their students using headphones and client/server software?

 

Ben

Posted

Yep. Did you use a tape based language lab at school (as pupil)? Or does your school still have one? Sanako does what that did, and more. Sanako were tied up with Tandberg who will be more familier to most of us, but there have been a few name changes of late.

 

There is a seperate audio network, and you can have a video distribution system, although I believe that new installs use the data network in a different fashion from my current system (5 yrs old)

Posted

Thanks for the replies.

 

I have heard a mixture of positive and negative points about both Sanako and Virtuoso.

 

I have yet to see a demo of the Sanako although I did see it at Bett last January.

 

On the support side of things I heard both could be better.

 

The other thing is ongoing training. The Virtuoso sellers appear to see training as an on going thing which is important for when new teachers start. Though that is from a salesman (They never tell you what's in the tin). From other schools I have heard Sanako seem to leave you to get on with it yourself.

 

A new name another school recommended to our Head of MFL was a Belgian company called ARTEC www.artec-electronics.com. I have spoken to the UK distributor and hope to see a demo soon.

 

My main fear is we spend a disgusting figure of money on a system and we are left to get on with little support or training.

Posted
To do the basics, you really won't need much training. That said, we started from the position of a) having lots of lessons on 1/4" tape and paper that just needed digitising and b) direct technical support for the teachers in place (me).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...