Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok think I may have had a DOS attack on my remote Linux Server

I can telnet as a normal user, but cannot su to root .. it just hangs after I enter the password (Control+C restores the prompt - but not as root)

 

I can access Webmin as root

 

I have checked running processes in telnet and found sh*t loads of Cron processes - like this:

root      6655  0.0  0.0  1392    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6656  0.0  0.0  1388    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6657  0.0  0.0  1392    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6874  0.0  0.0  1388    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6875  0.0  0.0  1388    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6876  0.0  0.0  1392    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6877  0.0  0.0  1392    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6881  0.0  0.0  1388    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6882  0.0  0.0  1392    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
root      6883  0.0  0.0  1388    0 ?        SW   Oct23   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON

 

there are at least 2 dozen of these - all with cuncurrent PID's (well close enough!)

 

Cannot kill the processes in Telnet as i cannot logon as root..

Cannot kill the processes in Webmin, nor stop the Cron job - it times out

 

Due to the server's location - some 330 Miles away.. I cannot get to the console to login locally as root

I could get a member of my family to reboot the server, but then the Cron job will just start again

 

Anyone know how i can get round this?

Posted

Look at the cron log, see what it's running. Remove the execute permissions for whatever script/command it is. Wait patiently for sanity to be restored.

 

In future you might want set some sensible ulimits to stop this reoccuring.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...