Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

I messed up permissions...


Recommended Posts

Guest theeldergeek
Posted (edited)

Trying to do too much at once, pressed 'propagate permissions' on the wrong folder and have set permissions for all users home drives wrong..... :doh:

 

So, all the permissions were then wrong on their home drives, so now I have manually set the correct POSIX to each user on their root folder, but of course all the folders/files within don't give them access, that is each file/folder within doesn't give them the right permissions (the ones I have checked are read only which would tie in with the POSIX read only I guess).

 

The permissions on each home folder are :

 

ACL's

ICT_Technical has read/write

Teachers are read only

 

POSIX

user has read/write

admin has read only

other has read only

 

I presume these permissions are correct, as they are what is created when I create a new user after this disaster took place. The root folder of all the home drives hasn't been affected by this, it's only the users home folders within that drive that are affected.

 

Is their any way other than propagating permissions within Server Admin that I can quickly reset all contents of the home folders (Desktop, Documents etc and all files within) to the right permissions?

 

I am doing all the work via Remote Desktop on our Xserve thru server admin, which is slow progress, but easiest.

 

If anyone can throw me a beacon of hope I'd appreciate it.

 

Add to all my other problems today, someone has smacked into my shiny new car and ruined it... but at least I have their name and insurance details.

 

It can't get any worse.

 

I am also going to need this done as an idiots guide 'cos I am stupid, no really I am.

Edited by theeldergeek
Guest theeldergeek
Posted
Where are you guys, I need help ....... waaaaaaargh!!
Posted

Hi,

 

I've done this too. Last year I changed permissions to a year group by accident, had to go through each users and set the permissions correctly.

 

As far as I'm aware there isn't a quicker way. :(

 

Having been there myself you have my sympathy:o

Guest theeldergeek
Posted (edited)
Hi,

 

I've done this too. Last year I changed permissions to a year group by accident, had to go through each users and set the permissions correctly.

 

As far as I'm aware there isn't a quicker way. :(

 

Having been there myself you have my sympathy:o

 

How did you set the permissions for the files and folders within, propagate?

 

The problem I have with that, is it isn't setting the correct permissions for folder within the users home folders. It is just duplicating the home folder permissions down. Some of the permissions which should be set to 'none' are being set to 'read only'.

 

This is a nightmare!

 

.

Edited by theeldergeek
Posted
How did you set the permissions for the files and folders within, propagate?

 

Top level of the home folder permissions are as follows:

 

ACL

 

Admins Group: Full Control

Staff Group: Read

 

POSIX

 

[user]: Read Write

Staff: Read Only

Others: Read Only

 

 

But the next level down the the Staff and Others have No Access (Except for the Sites and Public Folders) So that thru the network other users cant access other users home folders.

 

So Documents etc and everything below have:

 

ACL

 

Admins Group: Full Control

Staff Group: Read

 

POSIX

 

[user]: Read Write

Staff: No Access

Others: No Access

 

I set these on the top level first and propagated them through the home folder, selecting all options, then changed the top level back to posix back to Read Only for Staff and Others. Then edited the Public and Sites to Read or Write access as appropriate. Our Users use the Public and Sites folders

 

Sounds complicated when I read it back, but it seems to work...

Guest theeldergeek
Posted
Top level of the home folder permissions are as follows:

 

ACL

 

Admins Group: Full Control

Staff Group: Read

 

POSIX

 

[user]: Read Write

Staff: Read Only

Others: Read Only

 

 

But the next level down the the Staff and Others have No Access (Except for the Sites and Public Folders) So that thru the network other users cant access other users home folders.

 

So Documents etc and everything below have:

 

ACL

 

Admins Group: Full Control

Staff Group: Read

 

POSIX

 

[user]: Read Write

Staff: No Access

Others: No Access

 

I set these on the top level first and propagated them through the home folder, selecting all options, then changed the top level back to posix back to Read Only for Staff and Others. Then edited the Public and Sites to Read or Write access as appropriate. Our Users use the Public and Sites folders

 

Sounds complicated when I read it back, but it seems to work...

 

 

OK, I'll work through it, although I don't have a STAFF group, it is ADMIN on my POSIX? However, on creating a new user, I do have STAFF read only in POSIX

 

This is doing my nut in!

 

 

 

.

Posted
OK, I'll work through it, although I don't have a STAFF group, it is ADMIN on my POSIX? However, on creating a new user, I do have STAFF read only in POSIX

 

This is doing my nut in!

 

 

 

.

 

The Staff group in POSIX (and Admin on yours) is the same I believe. Its a name the server gives to all other users on the network that don't apply to any other user or group you give permissions to in ACL.

 

So if you give in ACL read only access to your teaching staff, yourself Full Control and the user has read write access set in POSIX, all other users fall in to the POSIX Staff (Admin on yours) group

 

The Other POSIX is for any guest accounts.

Guest theeldergeek
Posted
The Staff group in POSIX (and Admin on yours) is the same I believe. Its a name the server gives to all other users on the network that don't apply to any other user or group you give permissions to in ACL.

 

So if you give in ACL read only access to your teaching staff, yourself Full Control and the user has read write access set in POSIX, all other users fall in to the POSIX Staff (Admin on yours) group

 

The Other POSIX is for any guest accounts.

 

 

Thanks for your help on this, I am extremely grateful. I've got to a point where I have pretty much repaired the 'damage'.

 

I'm soooo annoyed at what I did, it was trying to do too many things at once, and I didn't realise in my haste that the root home folder was selected when I propagated what I was changing.

 

Still, I've actually learned a fair bit from this, and it has highlighted some issues I need to address with how the shares are set up.

 

Roll on half term so I can work on it!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...