BatchFile Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 Happy New Year! As it's an InSeT day, and I've had two weeks of blue sky thinking time, I've got a quick question - someone HAS to have done it, surely?! Following a nasty virus outbreak last term, I'd like to run with firewalls up on the workstations to help prevent future problems, or at least make them easier to manage if we get one; security in layers and all that. Cutting to the chase, what do I need to set firewall exception wise in Group Policy to allow Sophos management console to work through the firewalls? anyone?
FN-GM Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 Happy New Year! As it's an InSeT day, and I've had two weeks of blue sky thinking time, I've got a quick question - someone HAS to have done it, surely?! Following a nasty virus outbreak last term, I'd like to run with firewalls up on the workstations to help prevent future problems, or at least make them easier to manage if we get one; security in layers and all that. Cutting to the chase, what do I need to set firewall exception wise in Group Policy to allow Sophos management console to work through the firewalls? anyone? It should be fine as long as your clients can access the shares on the server. All sophos would need is access to the shares and a DC to authenticate the credentials. also it needs port 8192 8193 & 8194 Just regularly check that Sophos is updating.
Michael Posted January 4, 2010 Posted January 4, 2010 To specify the GPO exceptions, it would read something like this: %programfiles%\Sophos\Remote Management System\RouterNT.exe:”*”:enabled:Sophos And for the port: 8192:TCP:”*”:enabled:Sophos Port
lukang Posted January 5, 2010 Posted January 5, 2010 Not trying to change the topic much here but when trying to block against zero day threats you should get HIPS enabled properly and not as much to do with the firewall. This would have given you a 100% level of protection for the registry of your windows systems. By default HIPS has three boxes checked to allow you the ability to slowly see what HIPS has seen then you use the authorization selection two selections below the HIPS selection and you can then decide what to authenticate. After doing this you will de-select or Un-check Alert Only in the HIPS selection leaving the other two checked. This setting blocks newly launched processes (Even good ones ) from making changes to your registries without you first authorizing them. Even if it is a Brand New virus that Nobody is detecting for!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now