plexer Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 We need to replace one of domain controllers as it's an old elonex resillience which is out of warranty. The other DC is a Dell Poweredge 2900 Dual XEON 3.0GHZ/2MB 800FSB 4GB SINGLE RANK DDR2 MEMORY (4X1GB) 6 x 146GB SCSI ULTRA320 (10, 000RPM) 1IN 80 P PERC 4/DI MOTHERBOARD EMBEDDED RAID ACTI REDUNDANT POWER SUPPLY - ROHS COMPLIANT C04 MR5/N, RAID 5 EMBEDDED CONTROLLER Drives setup as RAID5 Out of warranty but in the process of extending it. Currently with a 2003 domain. I don't want to virtualise my DC's but I was thinking of virtualising the current server after demoting it just so that anything that points to it will still work, I also have an old server 2000 elonex server which is running successmaker which I want to virtualise. I was thinking of using the DC I'm going to demote as the virtualisation server as it's a dual core 3.00ghz xeon too and either putting larger drives in it as it currently has 5 out of 6 for a total of 130GB'ish so I presume they are 36GB drives in there or I could use a locally gigabit connected small san to provide iSCSI for the virtualisation. Do I go for another DELL server to complement the existing one or go for an HP??? Thoughts welcome. Ta.
FN-GM Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 Out of ease i would find another 2900 to match you existing one. Later on down the line it maybe a good move
plexer Posted December 4, 2009 Author Posted December 4, 2009 Just specced up a terminator over at Dell PowerEdge T310 Tower Chassis for Up to 4x 3.5" Hot Plug HDDs with LCD Diagnostics Intel&® Xeon&® X3460, 2.8Ghz, 8MB Cache, Turbo, HT Memory 4GB Memory, DDR3, 1333MHz (2x2GB Dual Ranked UDIMMs) 3Yr ProSupport for End Users and Next Business Day On-Site Service C20 Hot-Swap - RAID 6 for PERC 6i/H700 Controller, 4 SAS/SATA/SSD Hot Plug PERC 6/i Internal Controller for Hot Plug HD Configuration 300GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive x 6 Redundant Power Supply (2 PSU) 400W iDRAC6 Embedded BMC Intel® Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter, x4 PCIe 16X DVD-ROM Drive SATA with SATA Cable for Win2K8 R2 £3025.00 Ben
Haptic Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 Just specced up a terminator over at Dell PowerEdge T310 Tower Chassis for Up to 4x 3.5" Hot Plug HDDs with LCD Diagnostics Intel&® Xeon&® X3460, 2.8Ghz, 8MB Cache, Turbo, HT Memory 4GB Memory, DDR3, 1333MHz (2x2GB Dual Ranked UDIMMs) 3Yr ProSupport for End Users and Next Business Day On-Site Service C20 Hot-Swap - RAID 6 for PERC 6i/H700 Controller, 4 SAS/SATA/SSD Hot Plug PERC 6/i Internal Controller for Hot Plug HD Configuration 300GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 15K RPM Hard Drive x 6 Redundant Power Supply (2 PSU) 400W iDRAC6 Embedded BMC Intel® Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter, x4 PCIe 16X DVD-ROM Drive SATA with SATA Cable for Win2K8 R2 £3025.00 Ben I'm sure we can get that price lower for you bud
plexer Posted December 4, 2009 Author Posted December 4, 2009 I should hope so, looking at 4 x 450GB SAS drives now though instead of the 300's Ben
Haptic Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 I should hope so, looking at 4 x 450GB SAS drives now though instead of the 300's Ben will have a quote for you shortly chap:cool:
FN-GM Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 don't call me a shortly chap. Ben its like out of airplane "Surely something can be done" "dont call be shirley"
plexer Posted December 4, 2009 Author Posted December 4, 2009 This replacement DC will not be installed until Feb half term I think just looking for an idea of spec that will be ok and indicative pricing. Ben
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now