Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Unable to Create User of Computer Accounts on a W2K Domain


Recommended Posts

Posted

This is a bit of a problem. We took over the IT support in our Junior School a couple of years ago and so far all has been OK. Recently I have been adding a number of student accounts using Winsuites Account Express and found that only about 66 of the 171 were created. When I check I found messages saying that the server had exhausted it's pool of Releative Identifiers and couldn't get any more. I have spent 2 days now trying to sort this out. I have been on the MS website and done everything and checked everything they suggest. Still the server tells me there is no more RIDs Has anyone any ideas :(

 

I also have a wierd error on DNS. DCDIAGS tells me there is more than one Domain Controller although we only have the one. There was an old server but that has been demoted to a member and sometimes falls over anyway. (Its not being used) There is a "CACHE" server listed in Sites and Services but we have always assumed that to be the "Cache Pilot" box installed for Espresso. The DCDIAGS also complains that an alias cannot be resoved. Again I have checked and found no problem, the record has an entry for the domain controller (name) and looks the same as the setup on our (separate) admin domain. :( :(

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

Alan

Posted
Sounds to me like the site has had 2 DCs at some point (possibly during an upgrade where the new server is added). It is possible that the RID master FSMO owner is still the old server. IF this is the case, then you can seize the RID master FSMO role (see www.petri.co.il for details on FSMO roles).
Posted

AJB,

 

Yes there was an old server which is now demoted to a member and recently shut down.

 

I have already tried seizing the RID Master role and it told me that the server already held that role.

 

I am now building a temp DC as it has been suggested that there could be corruption in the AD Database.

 

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

 

Alan

Posted

Problem Solved

I created a new W2K server and added it as a Domain Controller. Once this had settled down, I was able to create users on both the new and the original DC. I then demoted the new DC and tried again. I could still create users and the DCDIAG tool reported that my DNS problem has gone aswell. Sorted.

 

Thanks again for your help.

 

Alan

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...