6Foot2 Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 Apple voids warranties over cigarette smoke, users say: No repairs for 'biohazard' Macs If this story is shown to be true surely it should not be allowed? I cannot recall of any similar stipulation where 'we will not repair your equipment if you are a smoker' is stated in the warranty. Even if it were should it be allowed?
GrumbleDook Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 I have to admit that I've done the same, refused to touch a few laptops and a few desktops which have been outside of schools and brought back in for repair. If they had been caked in mouse droppings, fetid cheese or human fluids it amounts to the same to me. Part of the problem is that some folk don't realise how pervasive cigarette smoke is. I'm not saying that the smoke residue may have been part of the fault but I don't see why I should have to handle a machine that is contaminated.
AngryTechnician Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 I'll be honest, I'd normally be supportive of any story that exposes Apple as the same corporate dogs as everyone else, I will say that working on machines that have been in the presence of heavy smokers is a disgusting job. I once had to dismantle the machine from a caretaker's hut to take a forensic image of the HD, and the entire innards were coated with tobacco smoke, since the grounds staff routinely smoked in their hut due to us having a spineless facilities manager. Normally I would dust out machines in the corridor, but I had to take the air compressor outside for this one and make sure I was upwind. Personally I don't think they could claim it voids the parts warranty, but I think they should be allowed to refuse to work on it, or at least impose a surcharge to cover the extra work needed to make the machine serviceable. All they should really need is a fume cabinet and a strong air compressor they can use to evacuate all the dust (tobacco or not). Regardless of what the policy is, it should be made clearer in the warranty. To have a policy the consumer is not informed of in advance is simply deceptive.
nicholab Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 Smoking is a habit of low classes animals I hate it. 1
Haptic Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 Smoking is a habit of low classes animals I hate it. abit harsh dont you think:rolleyes:
tmcd35 Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 If they had been caked in [snip] human fluids it amounts to the same to me. My god, that actually made me shudder! Smoking is a habit of low classes animals I hate it. I read this and immediatly thought of smoked bacon. I ate it! I can understand why they wouldn't want to work on these machines. I've never smoked and think it's pretty disgusting. To be fair to Apple, the story reads like third hand reporting. "A friend of a friend claims Apple refused to repair my iPod because my first name ends in a 'y'". To give a more direct example of the standard of reporting... According to one, the office confirmed that the cult would not repair machines showing signs of smoke residue. I suggest there is probably more to the story than - "you smoke so we won't repair the machine". Could it be that Apple had claimed that the residue from the smoking had/may have caused the problem and thus isn't covered under warranty. That'll make more sense to me.
mossj Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 Smoking is a habit of low classes animals I hate it. Sorry what? it's comments like this that has given you a negative rep.. p.s don't smoke, never will
AngryTechnician Posted November 22, 2009 Posted November 22, 2009 (edited) According to one, the office confirmed that the cult would not repair machines showing signs of smoke residue. I suggest there is probably more to the story than - "you smoke so we won't repair the machine". Probably true, but as you suggest, your quote from the article is nothing more than The Register's normal juvenile writing style, and the reason I stopped reading it long ago. Edited November 22, 2009 by AngryTechnician
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now