dgsmith Posted November 12, 2009 Posted November 12, 2009 One of our students has a problem when loading Microsoft Outlook 2007. It will always say "Cannot start microsoft office outlook. Cannot open the outlook window". if I execute it for them using the /resetnavpane switch it'll load fine, but then as soon as they close/logoff and load it themself again, the same thing happens. Seems the switch is just bypassing a problem rather than fixing it - any ideas why this is happening and what we do to actually fix it, rather than just work around it?
dgsmith Posted November 13, 2009 Author Posted November 13, 2009 Why is it my problems are always the most obscure that noone knows how to answer them?
Edu-IT Posted November 13, 2009 Posted November 13, 2009 I had this exact same thing the other day. In application data for that user, I beleive their is an XML file which stores their profile. I deleted that, the profile recreated, and bam! Sorted. If you struggle to find out where the file is then let me know and I'll point you there. Edit: Before you delete it, do you automatically configure their profiles? We do, so the profile was easy to recreate. 1
dgsmith Posted November 13, 2009 Author Posted November 13, 2009 Well it's an RM network, so things tend to be amde automatically At least, we've never needed to do any manual configuration for the user profiles. In their my Docs, under My Settings (and a few folders down) I see "Default Outlook Profile.xml" - I take it this is the one you are referring to? Just delete it then and it should recreate with (hopefully) the problem fixed?
Edu-IT Posted November 13, 2009 Posted November 13, 2009 Well it's an RM network, so things tend to be amde automatically At least, we've never needed to do any manual configuration for the user profiles. In their my Docs, under My Settings (and a few folders down) I see "Default Outlook Profile.xml" - I take it this is the one you are referring to? Just delete it then and it should recreate with (hopefully) the problem fixed? CC4? Yes, that's the one.
dgsmith Posted November 13, 2009 Author Posted November 13, 2009 Tried that - was still the same. I took a a chance and deleted the entire contents of the Outlook folder hoping that it would recreate everything - this worked! Still, I wouldn't have managed to get that far or to that area without your suggestion so thanks for that! ..and yes, CC4.. 1
Edu-IT Posted November 13, 2009 Posted November 13, 2009 No worries. I'm on CC4 and deleting just the XML file worked for me, glad you figured it out though. I might drop you a PM shortly. Got a few questions!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now