Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hyper V2


Recommended Posts

Guest monkeyx
Posted

Been setting up clustered Hyper V2 VMs today.

 

Been first time in a while when using Windows Server that I have though that is cool.

 

As a Linux admin at heart that is hard for me to say :)

 

Tim

Posted

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF... *ahem* sorry, got carried away.

 

Having used previous incarnations of Hyper-V and Virtual Server, I'd agree the new R2 version does feel significantly more polished and mature as a platform.

Posted
It's just a shame, when you apparantly have a VT capable process that, you sometimes have to hack Win2k8R2 to allow you to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 because some hardware manufacturers (mentioning no names (*caugh* HP)) don't bother giving you a BIOS update so you can enable the feature :evil_twisted:
Posted

Hello,

 

I had some issues getting Hyper-V working on a DL360 G5 recently. To get it to work, I had to do the following:

 

Install hotfix kb974598

then enable a)Intel® Virtualization Technology and b)No-Memory Execute Protection in the BIOS

 

If I enabled the above without the hotfix the W2K8 R2 server would BSOD on boot. I hope this might be helpful for someone.

Posted
I'm after trying Hyper-V Server R2 (the free one) and as I don't have any spare PC's at home which are 64bit and with VT or whatever hardware it requires I was wondering if I could create a VM in Virtual PC (or VMware player or some kind of destop virtualisation product) and install and play on that?
Posted
I'm after trying Hyper-V Server R2 (the free one) and as I don't have any spare PC's at home which are 64bit and with VT or whatever hardware it requires I was wondering if I could create a VM in Virtual PC (or VMware player or some kind of destop virtualisation product) and install and play on that?

I don't believe there are are any virtualisation systems that can emulate the presence of VT-x in the BIOS, so the answer is no.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...