Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi, i've just been reading some of what wa sposted in the logon times/speed topic and found it very interesting.

 

We have a romaing mandatory profile assigned to all of our students, which takes roughly 30-40 secs to logon to a Win XP Workstation. I know that this could be considered fast but my ultimate aim it to get it down to the 10 sec mark or around there.

 

I find the biggest portion of the profile is the application data folder (obviously). I know that you can do a redirection policy for this, but would this aid in speeding up the profile? Secondly would having say anywhere between 20 and 200 kids logging on at the same time using the same mandatory profile result in decreased logon times?

 

The profile was created using a template user, and in it's registry i changed the save path for MS office from that users home share say "\\server\john" to "H:\". We also have the my docs redirection in place so is the registry editing really needed?

 

I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers

Ryan P

Posted
You may want to take a look at the Flex Profile Kit, which is a sort of hybrid mandatory roaming profile. In there somewhere is a comment that using the MS folder redirection feature is very slow and it is therefore better to do it in the mandatory profile or using registry manipulation.
Posted

It's 3rd from the top 'Download >>> FPK v5.0 <<<', then click on the attachment link in the first post 'fpkv5.0.zip'. There's an admin guide in PDF format in the ZIP file.

 

I've had a quick look throug (searching for 'redirect') but cannot find anything about Folder Redirection being slow with GP. It is though. If you do not use any folder redirection (or mandatory/roaming profiles), then logon times are very fast.

Posted

Yeah thanks, that PDF is very interesting. Will print it on Mon when I get in and give it all a go.

 

Geoff - thanks, I'd heard about that update couldn't find the KB article. Will put this all to my NM and see what she thinks.

 

Thanks guys

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...