Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Did you by any chance forget to change them from their default values of Everyone: Read?? Thanks a lot Microsoft for that one.

 

1 - Get RMTSHARE

 

2 - Work out the command you need to change the share permissions

RMTSHARE \\server\sharename /GRANT Everyone:Full

 

3 - Build a text file which lists all the shares you want to modify (could use 'RMTSHARE \\servername > sharelist.txt')

 

4 - Manipulate the text file so that you have a series of rows resembling the command line given in step 2

 

5 - Save the text file as SHAREFIX.CMD

 

6 - Execute SHAREFIX.CMD by double clicking on it.

Posted

As in the example command above I give everyone full access on share permissions and rely on NTFS permissions to lock down users access.

 

Mixing NTFS and Share permissions just leads to confusion. I have no idea why MS bothered with this redundant feature.

Posted

@Geoff: Maybe 'cos in the days before NTFS, share permissions were the only option? Also I suppose, share permissions are easier to manage if you don't need the more granular control afforded by file permissions. I know what you mean though. When I moved to NT from NetWare (good security/directory model but it crashed a lot!) I couldn't figure out why share and file permissions were required.

 

It would be good if Microsoft gave us the option of either disable share permissions, or defaulting new shares to a predefined value (maybe Admins: Full and Authenticated Users: Modify would have made more sense)

 

Here's a thought though. Any time a user creates a file, they automatically become the owner of it and can therefore modify the permissions. You may be able to prevent this behavour with the use of a specific Deny entry in the DACL, but presumably if the user is connected through a share which limits their permissions to Modify, they would not be able to change the permissions.

Posted
Heh, got caught like that on my home network last week. *&%$^ing piece of software re-ordered the share permissions on my server, so I reinstated the shares but forgot it would only be read. Took me far too long to work it out :oops:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...