Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Domain Controller Security Policy error


Recommended Posts

Posted

Background:

Office client workstation will not connect to the server

error: Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

 

workstation can ping server and vice versa, workstation can see server but cant connect.

Same error on server when trying to access the workstation

 

Investigations:

Checking the server and theres a error in the logs:

Windows cannot query for the list of group policy objects.

Checking the Domain controller security policy -> security settings -> Local Policies -> User rights assignment I see that the policy 'Access this computer from the network' is blank. This I would expect to be populated (unless I'm mistaken) with Admin, aspnet,backup,everyone, power users, users etc. When adding these and applying the polciy change I get the following error:

 

Security Templates: An extended error has occurred, failed to save

\\school_name.admin\sysvol\school_name.admin\Policies\.....

 

Thinking that the security database might be corrupy I've ran esentutl /g on %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb but this comes up clean.

 

Anyone got an ideas what I can try next? THANKS

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...