TechMonkey Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 Can anyone confirm or deny that FileSystemObject methods need local paths not URLs ? I am trying to create a txt file on a hosted system and they are saying that you can only use urls for security as is standard security. Is this true? So there is no way to write a txt file to an IIS webserver?
srochford Posted August 25, 2009 Posted August 25, 2009 I suspect what they're telling you is that they're not going to let you write files like this. ASP certainly supports it: set oFso=server.CreateObject("scripting.filesystemobject") sRoot=server.MapPath(".") set oFile=osfo.createtextfile(sRoot & "\" & test.txt) oFile.writeline "Testing" oFile.close (server.mappath just works out "where am I?" - it will return something like c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mysite\myfolder) The problem is that if you can write "good stuff" then a hacker can probably write "bad stuff" What are you wanting to write? Could it be put in a database instead? 1
TechMonkey Posted August 26, 2009 Author Posted August 26, 2009 Ta. Yeah sorry I know it does work, I have it running on a server here. It was mainly if they are right that it is standard not to allow it & then wondering what otehr people did if they are on hosted servers. What I am doing is an emergency message system. If the school loses power or connection a page will be presented and I just wanted a text file to store time, date, message and reason that would be written by an admin page. Looks like I will have to stick with just uploading the text file.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now