Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I want to create a WMI filter to target the SMARTboard software installation. I've yet to create my first WMI filter and was wondering if anyone has already done this, or something similar?

 

Come to think of it, some sample WMI filters on the WiKi might be good...

Posted

Yes, I've been playing with WMI filters for a little while. The WQL query you need to run to see if you've got Smartboard software installed goes something like this:

 

select * from win32_product where caption = "CDBurnerXP Pro 3"

 

Obviously substituting "CDBurnerXP Pro 3" for whatever the Smart software is called.

 

You may find it useful if you download a WMI browser. Microsoft do a free one but it has a very annoying habit of locking my machine up. You could try WMIX or if you're feeling adventurous, Scriptomatic from MS.

 

That query will only work for software that has been installed with an MSI. There may be a way to find software installed by third party installers but I haven't found it yet.

 

I've also used a WMI filter to filter out XP machines to make a policy only apply to Windows 2000

select * from win32_operatingsystem where caption != "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

 

and another to determine the machine's UUID to make sure it only applies to that one.

select * from win32_computersystemproduct where UUID = "FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF"

Posted
That query will only work for software that has been installed with an MSI. There may be a way to find software installed by third party installers but I haven't found it yet.

 

Can you do registry searches in WMI. If so then you could use the GUID of the package or maybe just look for a particular key under HKLM\Software

Posted
@Norphy - I think you misunderstand me. I want to roll out the Smartboard software with a targeted GPO. The WMI filter should include only machines with the smartboard (which I believe is detected by Windows but appears as 'unknown device' in device manager). So far it looks like I need to use the Win32_PnPEntity.DeviceID property, which has the vendor and device information in it.
Posted

Fair enough, clever idea but what I wrote still applies.

 

The query should be something like

select * from Win32_PnPEntity where PNPDeviceID like "%CDROM_NEC_DVD_RW_ND-4550A____________________1.06____%"

 

Whack that into the GPMC and in theory it should work.

Posted

Now that I'm back at work and had the opportunity to look at this for myself, I have found that this works for the Smart 680.

 

select * from Win32_PnPEntity where PNPDeviceID like "%M06030577%"

 

Have to say, genius idea. I think I'll have to use this one more extensively.

Posted
Yep, you can use it for scanners, lego towers, digital blue cameras and all sorts of 'per machine' hardware.

 

Methinks a WiKi section of WMI filters would be useful...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...