Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

my server keeps crashing and Ive no idea whats up with it and im 10,000 miles away from it which makes it a bit hard, so I'm seriously considering replacing it, rather than chuck good money after bad.

 

Im after the cheapest option possible, its mainly going to be used as a fileserver / VM machine, but will also run DNS/DHCP and some other light services. Will probably stick with gentoo as the OS so dont need one of them. (unless I maybe decide on ESX?)

 

The current server is 4U, so anything up to that would be fine

 

Current server has a total of 3.8TB in about 10 random sized HD, non raid, but would definately go for a RAID option this time (can a 3x1.5tb RAID give 3.0tb usable?)

 

Ideally, the case would have hot-swappable front access for the drives

 

Ram, probably 8gb is the norm these days, and probably best for VM options..

 

CPU - nothing major, whatever's a decent priced option that can handle a couple of VMs and stuff

 

Video output is going straight to a IP KVM so just an on-board would suffice... No audio is needed..

 

Gigabit NIC, on board would do I guess.

 

CD/DVD Drive isn't necessary, as long as the server can boot from USB.

 

Hit me up with some prices, I have an idea about what Im wanting to pay, so I hope someone can come near that figure, or be even lower.

 

Many thanks!

Posted
my server keeps crashing and Ive no idea whats up with it and im 10,000 miles away from it which makes it a bit hard, so I'm seriously considering replacing it, rather than chuck good money after bad.

 

Im after the cheapest option possible, its mainly going to be used as a fileserver / VM machine, but will also run DNS/DHCP and some other light services. Will probably stick with gentoo as the OS so dont need one of them. (unless I maybe decide on ESX?)

 

The current server is 4U, so anything up to that would be fine

 

Current server has a total of 3.8TB in about 10 random sized HD, non raid, but would definately go for a RAID option this time (can a 3x1.5tb RAID give 3.0tb usable?)

 

Ideally, the case would have hot-swappable front access for the drives

 

Ram, probably 8gb is the norm these days, and probably best for VM options..

 

CPU - nothing major, whatever's a decent priced option that can handle a couple of VMs and stuff

 

Video output is going straight to a IP KVM so just an on-board would suffice... No audio is needed..

 

Gigabit NIC, on board would do I guess.

 

CD/DVD Drive isn't necessary, as long as the server can boot from USB.

 

Hit me up with some prices, I have an idea about what Im wanting to pay, so I hope someone can come near that figure, or be even lower.

 

Many thanks!

 

will have a look at a few options for you this morning fella,:cool:

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks..

 

As I say, Its not for a main server, so doesn't have to be very powerful, or have brand components etc. And the VMs Im going to be using are for educational and learning as well so wont be haivng a heavy load either.

 

Im just looking for something fairly cheap and cheerful.

Posted

Just to clarify a bit more, this is just a fileserver and stuff. Its for home too. So, thanks for taking the time, but the quotes of £3000+ are just a wee bit too much for this...

 

I was thinking something more looseley along these lines..

 

http://www.peninsulafm.com/spec.PNG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...