wesleyw Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 Recently setup our AUP to be agreed or not at login problem is even though I've set the GPO to do sync scripts windows loads up fully before they agree or disagree is there any way of stopping windows logging in fully until they've chosen agree or disagree? Any help with this would be much appreciated! Wes
Geoff Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 How about if they disagree they get logged out? With some sort of countdown if they ignore the window?
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 Are your scripts assigned with Group Policy or on the User Account?
wesleyw Posted July 17, 2006 Author Posted July 17, 2006 @Geoff: Funny you should say that but it has that functionality sadly thoguh if they don't click on anything then they still have complete access to windows but with the AUP displayed on screen all the time. @ajbritton: Scripts are assigned as Login Scripts under User Config in a Pupils GPO. Wes
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 Tricky. Is you message making itself System Modal? Usually system modal windows are in front of everything else and cannot be ignored.
wesleyw Posted July 17, 2006 Author Posted July 17, 2006 I could set it up as User Script via their account if that would help in a solution? Do you know how I could make the mouse stay in the current VB progs window (The Login script for the AUP is actually a VB prog) That way even if it does show up they can't actually get to anything else! Nope it's not Modal. Wes
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 I just tried a VB 5CCE app with a dialog box system modal and it did not work. I think the idea about capturing the mouse is a good one but I don't know how to do it. It might be worth trying the script on a user account to see if it makes any difference.
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 This almost does the mouse restriction ... http://www.vbaccelerator.com/tips/vba0001.htm
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 You might be able to do it with a Kixtart script. There is documentation here mentioning attributes that can be placed on a message box such as super system modal and topmost window!
OutToLunch Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 I wrote a little program a long time ago that people could use on vanilla 9x / CC 2.3 systems - VB app to display an always on top dialog that loaded a nicely formatted RTF AUP from the server, disabled special key combinations (alt tab/ctrl alt del etc) and trapped the mouse in the application until it was agreed to, or logged off if the user clicked disagree. Never managed to get it up to scratch on NT4/2K/XP as the APIs for restricting the mouse didn't seem to work... Haven't managed to find an equivalent since - most can be alt tabbed out of, or zapped with the program manager
NetworkGeezer Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 Now I can't remember does a user hive have a RunOnceEx key. If so this might be place to put a call to the script. This will produce the desired modal effect. I take it this script will be new users to the network or a particular machine. If so then put it in the HKCU of the Default User profile.
wesleyw Posted July 17, 2006 Author Posted July 17, 2006 Task Manager is disabled Ctrl Alt Del disable is not possible without replacing a windows file or two with yours. Or buy a program that does this. If it could always come to the front and keep focus (unable to to minimize too?) that would do it I think? Wes
wesleyw Posted July 17, 2006 Author Posted July 17, 2006 Well I just want it continually coming up if they haven't actually agreed to the policy if they disagree of course it will log them out I suppose Geoff's idea of a countdown then logout is a very good possibility just have to make sure that the countdown is long enough for them to read the AUP! 5 Minutes? Wes
Geoff Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 As if they'll read it! Try 30 seconds. Any longer and you'll have people confused.
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 You could use AutoIt to do that. It's great for manipulating existing Windows. It also has an AdLib function which will do things on a regular predefined basis.
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 Why not rewrite your AUP message so that it says something like '..by clicking on OK, you are agreeing to the following...' and using the build in legal notice function in Group Policy?
wesleyw Posted July 17, 2006 Author Posted July 17, 2006 I suppose that would work but I need to really let them know what it is they are clicking on otherwise they'll say something like I never agreed to that etc.. Wes
ajbritton Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 Hmmm... Not the kind of users I would want on the network if they go around clicking on OK without reading the message!! :?
alan-d Posted July 17, 2006 Posted July 17, 2006 We use the GPO method too, as well as the signed AUP and posters in every room there is no let-out clause. SMT have clearly stated that excuses such as I didn't know, didn't read it etc etc are not grounds for any form of defence
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now