Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a server that has 4GB of RAM. What happens is that every so often I'll find the RAM usage dropping considerably low and at one time I found it to have 50MB free left. I've noticed that the sqlservr.exe is the main culprit and usually sucks up what ever available memory there is.

 

Is there a way I can combat this? On the server there is a piece of software that monitors students yearly progression and WSUS. What can I do to prevent the sqlservr.exe from carrying on like this?

Posted

This sounds normal. SQL Server will use most available RAM in the normal course of operation and rarely gives that memory back to the OS.

 

Install latest service pack etc or Right-click on the instance of SQL Server in question, choose 'Properties,' choose 'Memory,' change 'Maximum Server Memory.'

Posted
This sounds normal. SQL Server will use most available RAM in the normal course of operation and rarely gives that memory back to the OS.

 

Install latest service pack etc or Right-click on the instance of SQL Server in question, choose 'Properties,' choose 'Memory,' change 'Maximum Server Memory.'

 

How can I get to the SQL instance to alter this?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...