Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Ok what I am trying to do is port a Windows 2000 Server from one hardware set to a virtual machine.

 

For this I have used Ghost and Microsoft Virtual PC so far and this worked fine by using support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 and support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811408 to get the IDE drivers into the offline Ghost Image (and changed the HAL but that’s not the problem).

 

I would like to take advantage of the faster virtual SCSI support of Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 but there are no Microsoft Tech documents to load the Microsoft Virtual Server SCSI drivers into an offline Ghost image (e.g. the server is not yet booted into windows).

 

I know I need to make a registry patch file for the Microsoft Virtual Server SCSI drivers “msvmscsi.sys” but looking at support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 I have no idea where to start.

 

Any pointers in the direction would be much appreciated?

Edited by MicrodigitUK
Posted

Ok made my own reg patch in the end and looks to have worked! No problems so far!!!

See below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_9004&dev_7078&subsys_70781414&rev_02]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="msvmscsi"

;Add driver for Atapi (requires msvmscsi.sys in Drivers directory(system32\DRIVERS))

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet001\Services\msvmscsi]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Tag"=dword:00000022
"Type"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
 52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,76,00,6d,00,73,00,63,\
 00,73,00,69,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet002\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_9004&dev_7078&subsys_70781414&rev_02]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="msvmscsi"

;Add driver for Atapi (requires msvmscsi.sys in Drivers directory(system32\DRIVERS))

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet002\Services\msvmscsi]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Tag"=dword:00000022
"Type"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
 52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,76,00,6d,00,73,00,63,\
 00,73,00,69,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...