Popular Post matt40k Posted April 17, 2009 Popular Post Posted April 17, 2009 Virtualization For Dummies, Sun and AMD Special Edition Sun Microsystems - Small and Medium Business Solutions - Virtualisation for Dummies Just quickly had a look, looks like something you could cut bits out for SLT, why you want those nice new servers so you can setup true hw virtualization. AMD sales pitch looks rather good. Sun doesn't really happen until the end, which I though was strange, it's like they've been tacked on. The servers they recommend as well seems rather "industrial" for the level of they are aiming at. 6
AngryTechnician Posted April 17, 2009 Posted April 17, 2009 Amusing to see the 'for Dummies' publishers blatantly selling out. That said, that's probably the reasons the Sun bit seems 'tacked on'; they probably wrote most of the book and then went looking for sponsors.
AngryTechnician Posted April 17, 2009 Posted April 17, 2009 Note to those downloading: Sun marketing WILL call you even if you didn't tick the box to consent to "general communications", under the guise that they are checking the download worked OK. Legally above board since they say on the download request form that "We will use the information you supply to contact you regarding your question, comment or inquiry", but cheeky nonetheless. They seemed to be pushing VMWare/Hyper-V solutions, including hardware. I told them I was only interested in software alternatives to Hyper-V and even then they buggered off once I started talking about how great Sun VirtualBox is and what a shame it is there's no server version (Sun's xVM offering is a different product entirely from VirtualBox, and is based on Xen instead).
matt40k Posted April 17, 2009 Author Posted April 17, 2009 Note to those downloading: Sun marketing WILL call you even if you didn't tick the box to consent to "general communications", under the guise that they are checking the download worked OK. Legally above board since they say on the download request form that "We will use the information you supply to contact you regarding your question, comment or inquiry", but cheeky nonetheless. I though you would have learnt by now to fake your details, or at least your telephone no! (Hint: area code + 000000)
AngryTechnician Posted April 17, 2009 Posted April 17, 2009 I was bored and wanted someone to talk to.
matt40k Posted April 17, 2009 Author Posted April 17, 2009 I was bored and wanted someone to talk to. No-one else in? Or are they all non-techys?
AngryTechnician Posted April 17, 2009 Posted April 17, 2009 They all tired of me yesterday when I tried to explain how terribly exciting application virtualisation is.
matt40k Posted April 17, 2009 Author Posted April 17, 2009 They all tired of me yesterday when I tried to explain how terribly exciting application virtualisation is. Love the idea of cloud computing, not sure everyone is quite ready yet and we live in that world of meh. Very hard to get people excited about anything. [Waits for rude comments]
Sandman Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 Check out either the [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware]VMWare Wikipedia page[/ame] or Xtravirt knowledge site for good places to get info on Virtualization.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now